How do you frag a colt coral?

crazyzeus1

Our colt coral (that I got from someone local who sold it for $15!) is now about 16" high & 24" wide (no kidding!). I want to frag it & put some on the other side of our 100gal tank, but I have no idea how.
Can someone please help??

L

lockemup

There was a guy who put a "how to" post with pics, but that was so long ago that I doubt the pics would still be in here.
He did this though...
1. get whatever size rocks you want to use as the base to attach your frags to.
2. Wear rubber gloves during the fragging process.
3. Remove the colt from the tank and place it on a clean surface for your surgical proceedure.
4. Using a razor blade, cut off the stalks you want to that will become your frags. There will be a lot of slime from the cut areas, but this is normal.
5. Use a good sized carpet needle and monofilament line to tie the frag to a piece of rock. You will want to poke the needle (with the line through it like you are sewing) through the frag about an inch above where you cut the stalk from the main piece of coral and tie the frag to the rock. (Do not tie it too tight, or the line will tear through the meat.)
6. Put the frags and the original colt in the tank in an area with some flow to help dissipate that slime, but do not put them in an area of strong flow.
This is all I could remember from the post. I have fragged Star Polyps and Pulsating xenias before, but not a colt. I let a bubble tip anemone frag itself into 3 anemones once too. lol

kellyryan

Originally Posted by crazyzeus1
Thanks! I didn't even know I could take it out of the water to do this!
Hi, Domestic Goddess!