How do you Frag a Coral?

taz_12777

I posted this in the Coral forum but only got one answer so I thought I would try here before I try that reply."I recently got some zoo's and one of the stalks came off in shipping but I don't know how to get it to stick to a rock. Can I stick a toothpick through the bottom and then rubberband it like a xenia to a rock or is there another way. Thanks in advance for any help." Iwas told that I could superglue to the rock which I am going to try in a litte bit, but are there any other ways?Thanks again.

kdfrosty

Usually I will try to break off a piece of the rock that the zoos are attached to and then cut that mat to seperate to rocks. It's usually pretty easy using a flathead screwdriver and some porous rock.
If you can get the mat off the rock, you can use superglue gel to attach it to another rock. This can be done out of water or underwater safely. Doing it underwater, however, will take a few minutes for the superglue to cure.

hot883

I think zoo's have to be glued. They cannot be cut propagated like xenia's or mushrooms from what I understand

acrylic300

I just glued some last night, be carfull doing it underwater--it's tricky cause the glue developes a rapid skin to it. I had best luck putting the glue on the rock underwater then pressing the polyp and leaving it alone. I didn't try putting glue on both peices (that might work better). It is also hard to judge how much glue is comming out.

teresaq

I just take everything out of the water, dry off with a paper towel, and glue together. be sure to use the gel form of super glue.

kdfrosty

For my Colt I cut the frag then put a cocktail sword (like a toothpick, but a plastic sword) through the bottom of the clipping. Then I use rubberbands and wrap them around rubble and attach the rubberbands to the ends of the plastic sword. The Colt attachs within 1 week.