How do you get away with it?

flamehawkfish

Is there a way to get away with explaining to your friends or girlfriend why you need ANOTHER saltwater tank, ha ha. Just wondering how some people approach this subject. Its one addictive hobby.
By the way, that thread about things you shouldn't do, including NOT telling your gf how much you spend on saltwater supplies, my buddies and I must agree!

T

thomas712

How do I get away with it. Well last year I stuck a rock on her finger worth over a grand. Then asked sweetly if I could buy my rock now which cost even less. She said ok. :D
Thomas

flamehawkfish

No seriously, I see how all kinds of people/different jobs/ages/etc have nanos and large setups, reefs and FO, etc. Do you just up and do it. Is it worth having two setups? The larger time spent on maintenance is not the problem, just wondering if you you really enjoyed multiple tanks or not.
Compare that to being able to watch 5 tvs instead of the one. You could, but would you really want to?

mossad327

I know the real parents in here are going to get mad at me for comparing the two, but I think each one of your tanks is like a little kid.
You set it up, watch it mature, give it everything necessary for growing up, and by the time you have a fairly self-sufficient system, you have watched your little tank grow up from something that's completely relying on you to something fairly independent if you did everything correctly.
And it's always more fun to have more than one of anything.

mommafish

Originally posted by Mossad327
I know the real parents in here are going to get mad at me for comparing the two, but I think each one of your tanks is like a little kid.

I'm not mad at ya, in fact I totally agree and I'm a mom of 2 kids and 3 aquariums. The aquariums are my sanctuary of peace and solitude and beauty - and the fact that they don't sass you is really cool too. :D

mauldus

Wow Mossad, That's a really good analogy. So, when my parents ask me where my rent money went, I'm going to email them your post. ;)

lesleybird

Originally posted by FlameHawkfish
Is there a way to get away with explaining to your friends or girlfriend why you need ANOTHER saltwater tank, ha ha. Just wondering how some people approach this subject. Its one addictive hobby.
By the way, that thread about things you shouldn't do, including NOT telling your gf how much you spend on saltwater supplies, my buddies and I must agree!

Yea, It is easy for them to think that a light fixture must cost about $150 instead of the real $600 cost of the halide fixture with the bulbs! Just don't let them go shopping with you! Lesley

cb

Originally posted by FlameHawkfish

Just get them as interested in the hobby as you are and they won't care how many tanks you have set up.(we have 9 tanks set up not all saltwater and are in the process of trying to set up another saltwater tank.) but my husband likes the saltwater tank as much as I do and spends as much or more money on it than I do.:D

squidd

Originally posted by waterfaller1
....Oh and my boyfriend and I don't worry about the money...{we stopped counting when it got over $1,000}..;)

I think I hit that BEFORE
I started adding fish!!:eek:
:cool:

moopiespoo

Also a mommy of 2 kids and many fish, cats dogs. My fish are my babies too! You get your SO as interested in the hobby as you are, my hubby is talking about a 200 gallon already, not something I was even interested in yet. It's also fun to supprise each other w/ new fish and gadgets.:D

lesa

Women are wise when it comes to getting what they want:D
Men need to take lessons from us;)

terrence

You folks BOUGHT your tanks??????
Mine followed me home!!!!!!!!!!
As for comparing your tanks to your kids (I'm a father/grandfather)......The fish are ALWAYS home on time, don't dent my car, don't empty the frig, and don't take anywheres near the $$$$$$$ as my kids!!!!!!.......LOVE EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

wrassecal

Originally posted by Thomas712
How do I get away with it. Well last year I stuck a rock on her finger worth over a grand. Then asked sweetly if I could buy my rock now which cost even less. She said ok. :D

If my hubby offered me a rock for my finger in that price range at this point I'd probably say...but think what we could do with the tank we want in the bedroom with that money....but then again I've already got a nice rock on my finger and an empty 55 gal in the garage.

No need to lie to your significant other just get them addicted like you already are. My wife loves our fish and she does most of the feeding and maintenance.

my wife thought it was so very nice in the beginning. now she walks past the trash and says "oh, another F!$#ing Fed Ex box in the garbage - how much did you spend this time? And quit sitting there in front of an empty tank for hours every night looking at your "live" rock".
Yeah, this is one sweet hobby :)

tarashane

My fiance got into it first, and i was not interested at all. Once he started setting everything up, i was hooked. He would teach me a little more every day, and now i'm addicted.
It's good that we both love it, that way we don't have to argue about what we are going to spend ALL of our money on.. there's no question.. FISH.. We used to have a FW tank a while ago, once you go SW, you NEVER go back. We can spend our WHOLE weekend shopping @ LFS and not think twice about it. We love it! - Tara