How do you get rid of calurpa????

805puffer

Hi, i have had this calerpa in my tank for a while and it is growing out of control. I pull most of it out, but it just grows right back. Is there any way i can get rid of it? I have it in my sump, so thats probably how it got in there in the first palce. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

seannmelly

if you have a big enough tank, pretty much any kind of tang will have that cleaned up in no time!! and its very good for them too.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by 805puffer
i have a 110 galon tank, i currently have one yellow eyed tang, but he doesn't eat any of it.
get a yellow tang and he should take care of it

fallnhorse

May i suggest instead of another tang. You should look at a Rabbit foxface. They are very peacefull and only need a 70 gallon tank. Tangs should be in 6' long tanks. Beyond that other tangs will challenge each other for dominace. They are in the surgion family so the yellow tang has a barb on it's tail that will inflict damage. The rabbit fish will not be challenage much because he has venomous dorsal spine like a lion fish. They are extreme peaceful and nice color. They will go out of their way to avoid a conflict.

murph145

yeah id say any tang or the rabbit fish is good u should be able to find the fox face at a good price
ur from california what part?
i see the 805 so are u in ventura or close?

murph

At this point I doubt any thing is going to eat it as fast as it is going to grow. You can give it a shot though.
Other wise manual removal and scrubbing the plant off the rocks with a brush.

chipmaker

Buy, rent, borrow, steal a foxface or tang. I harvest all my excess calurpa, and the lfs buys it back from me. I do not have anyhting that eats it, but the lfs customers are all tang and fox face keepers.

805puffer

I think i'm going to have to go with the foxface, because he sounds like an all around good fish and a little more suitable for my tank. I'll go get one this week, how long do you think it will take for him to start munching on it?

tim_12

If for some reason you cant get fish to eat it you'll have to take all the rock out and pull it all off by hand. I just did that with my 46 gallon tank and it was well worth it. It took a few days but as long as you get it all off and scrub the rock afterwards, there shouldnt be any left. It's a lot of work but it sure beats pulling the stuff out every week.

psusocr1

fallnhorse May i suggest instead of another tang. You should look at a Rabbit foxface. They are very peacefull and only need a 70 gallon tank
i disagree my foxface is about 7-8 inches and he would be CRAMMED in a 70 gallon! id ont know where thos especs came from but their wrong!

805puffer

I have a lot of little polyps growing on my rock, do you think they can last long enough out of water untill i get off all the calurpa? I'll first see if the foxface will eat it and then if he doesn't, i'll have to pull it off manually. thanks

nanoreef

i have this stuf in my ten g reef and i want it gone but i can only take so much out beacuse i have a very CRAZY reef happening and i would mess up y whole tank SUGGestions

my poor tank is looking like a refuge