How do you get rid of Rock Anemones

kmr

I have an ever growing population of rock anemones. These came with some live rock. They are not Aptasia. They don't die when injected with Kalkwasser like Aptasia. I can scrape some of them off with a dental pick, but can't do a clean job one the ones in holes. I wonder if they get torn will they reproduce? Is there a fish to eat these? I haven't stocked my tank yet with corals besides some star polyps and mushrooms (open brain died). When I did tear a couple anemones my Purple Tang and Potters Anglel got sick. The Tang I think has Ick (a few white spots on dorsal fin, but not spreading yet) and the Angel has one cloudy eye and a sore from the Tang biting it. I have a Velvet Damsel with no symptems. I suppose the anemones rotted and fouled the tank some. I am open to any tactic. Oh ya, these things killed my open brain with some nasty stings and thet followed it wherever I put it.
Thanks
Kirk
P.S. What a killer message board!!!

kmr

These aren't Aptasisa though. I had no problem with those thanks to a couple Peppermint shrimp. These have relatively short tenticles (kinda olive green/rusty color), shorter tube, and a kind of a purple colored disk (area around mouth). Lfs called them rock or nucance anemones.Will this Butterfly fish eat other types of anemones too? I am tempted to get rid of one BIG rock that holds most of them. This would be an expensive decision. I would still have about two dozen on other rock though. One other hint: my peppermint shrimp would only steal food out of them rather than eat them.

kass

Maybe reef ranger should have mentioned that copperbands are hard to keep and butterflies don't really belong in a reef tank as they might pick on alot of other things too. If your going to put one in racoon butterflies are more hardy and eat aiptasia also. Are you sure these anemones are stinging everything? They sound like button anemones or polyps that don't have a powerfull sting.

kmr

I can't find a picture of these things, but they do resemble Button Anemones. They are not nearly bis enough to host any fish. My open brain coral was severly stung by them. I then moved it and within two days they stung it again (2 or 3 of them). The coral never puffed up again. Lets say the anemones are a type of Button Anemone. How would I control there population? The only polyps I have now are some Green Stars so the loss to a predater wouldn't be as bad as it could be.

T

tattooedlife

Not for sure what kind of anemones these are, but It sounds like the same kind of anemones I have on my rock.(Just purchased the rock about a month ago.) Mine are very small. Green with a brownish tan center. I have about three on one of my rocks. Like to hear more about these anemones or whatever they may be.