How do you keep the jumpers in?

J

jackie dh

I have a 36 gallon flat back hex reef tank with the light fixture that sets up off the tank on legs. What would you use to keep fish from jumping out? I just had a really nice Yellow head Jawfish go carpet surfing. I didn't find him until it was much to late.

I still have a six line wrasse that I would hate to lose. I cut a piece of 1/2" egg crate to fit but I really don't like the way it looks plus I think that the wrasse might be able to go through the holes, he's bigger but still bullit shaped.
Any suggestions?

shyfish

Hi,
Some people advise egg crate but that doesn't work if the fishy (firefish 4 example) can slip through. So larger fish would be just fine.
I have a glass top. It doesn't seem to matter much to the corals so enough light is getting in. However, when I am home I open the top so air can circulate. Something about gasses. I don't know enough tech stuff to explain better.
I close the top at night, or if I am not home to rescue any carpet surfers. My tank is right in my living room. I watch it more than the TV. So keeping a vigil isn't hard for me.
Sorry about your loss. I lost a beautiful blue tile fish, I had bought it for $80.00 and it was dead come the next morning from jumping out. That is when I went out and bought the glass top.

kevin34

I have a canopy over my tank with fans on both sides to keep the heat down. the only problem with a glass cover is that is doesnt allow for oxygen exchange at the waters surface. a canopy is the way to go.

stanlalee

hmm open top is top priority for me. anything that jumps my tank isn't meant to be. I've had no problem with my sixline but wrasses, tilefish and jawfish are extremely prone to jumping compared to other fish (I dont put sixlines in that category). I keep hearing about fish precision jumping right thru egg crate so thats probably not the best solution. Ive heard something about pond mesh or something to that effect (smaller holes) being used successfully. somebody on the forums uses it just cant remember who.

knockout

this is how I keep mine from jumping out... still have to remember to close it after I open it... the mesh is over the lights, so its an open canopy for gas exchange, all around the canopy is sealed so nothing gets out...

shyfish

Hi,
I have a few questions, I ask because it looks like a good idea, and I would like to try it.
1. How did you attach the mesh?
2. If you used staples can it create rust? I used to tie my powerheads by fishing line to a small screw I had attached to the conopy..rust became an issue.
3.Your lights are sitting low, like my setup, how do you deal with salt creep on the lights? Before I went to a glass top I had a real problem loosening the plastic strip that covered over the light. I had to apply hot water to loosen it up enough to change the bulbs.
I open my glass tops through the day to alow gas exchange, when people are around to make sure if anything jumps we can save the fish before it's too late. I would love a method that will stop jumpers in the first place.