How do you keep the sand in an aggressive setup clean and diatom free?

jim27

If you look at the pics of my shark tank you can see brown/purple diatoms growing on the sand. How do I stop the diatoms from growing on my sand?

jim27

I already have pretty low lighting. It only has 183watts PC, and thats on a 180 gallon tank. I also already use RO/DI water but thanks for trying to help. :)

grouperhead

To tell you the truth, I just stick my hand in the tank dring my weekly tank cleaning and manually stir the sand bed. It makes the sand look very good, clean, and white. Bo

jim27

I do that too but the diatoms grow extremly quick. I'll stir the sand a bit then The next day after school it'll be all covered again. Its really ugly and annoying. >_<
Would putting a powerhead close to the bottom help any? I'm asking because one of my powerheads fell and is making a hole in the sand and no diatoms grow within like 4 inches of the whole.

teog

Jim,
what is your phospahte testing at? I have a 160 thats has been running since 02/02 and alll water parameters are fine except phospahet is .50 and I too diatom. I initialy used tap water but since slowly converted to RO but the phosphate stayed in the sand and LR...so I have placed phosgaurd in the sump for relief..it has helped but not completely....Im going to rerun the phos guard

jim27

I really don't know what my phosphate is at I don't have a test kit for it either. Thats one thng I'll have to pick up at the lfs this weekend I guess. Is phosphate caused by using tap water? I have only used R/0 water in my tank(It took about a week to fill it up).

rockster

Get a dragon goby, it sifts the sand constantly...maybe that will help. My goby does a good job of sifting the surface of my sand.

beefller

Jim,
The only thing I can think of is your top off water. I know you said you are using RO water, but that is the only thing I can think of.

dave_b

just so you know, i have red leg hermits and turbo snails, my shark bothers neither, not sure if it will sure your problem though