How do you know if a feather duster is dead?

phil1964

Mine lost his feathers 2 days ago.
Should I wait it out?
Can it mess up my tank?
Water perameters were not good.
Ammonia was up but I have done two water changes and it is getting better.
I have removed the feather duster to the Q tank but hate to discard it if there is a chance.

karenjo

Definitely remove the feathers. I had the same problem happen to me and saw on here somewhere that the worm may leave its tube and reappear months later. That will be a little freaky, but I am waiting to see. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

if you can pick it up,with out hurting it.you should be able
to feel it move around in the tube,just don't squeeze it
to hard it doesn't take much.

ilove2ride

Most likely your feather duster is still alive, and lost it's feathers due to stress. In a few weeks, you will probably see them growing back. :)

If a feather duster looses its feathers, you are not supposed to move it from its place.(according to the complete aquarium guide) Often times,feather dusters will shed their feathers to make sure they don't eat thier own larvae. Your water conditions may be poor also. There still may be hope;)

pmauro

What type fish are not compatible with feather dusters? I am thinking of getting a few but I think I remember reading somewhere that Angels and dusters don't mix. Anyone out there know for sure?

clarkiiboi

All I can say is I have a coral beauty and it could care less about the feather duster. (each have their own personalities)
Phil1964
-IMO, I agree with feeling the tube and was probably due to stress. If you havent already, I believe that you should remove the discarded feathers. If your Q is better water quality then good move, get your main under control and hopefully all will work out. Keep us posted

phil1964

You are all very helpful
I removed the feathers and moved the tube to the q tank but I dont think there is anything in there.
Waiting.