How do you know if you have a mantis?

wwfstyle

I did have a pistol shrimp but took it out a few months back due to the snapping sounds it makes at night. Now I'm hearing more snapping. I haven't bought any new LR for like 8 months, but some that had a couple shrooms on them. I did how ever buy a cleaner shrimp. Could that guy be makeing the noise? I have noticed that my green hairy shrooms every once in awhile dont look so good but they usually come back looking good in a day or two. My main concern is could it be a mantis shrimp? Could my LR had an egg or something and he is just now comeing out to play? If it is one how would you remove it? In my 75 I have around 120lbs of LR so it's kinda hard to see what is makeing the snapping sound. It doesn't happen just at night eighter, and not on a regular basis.

sandiegan

Try running a search on this board about it. Theres been a lot of people asking about it and the trap for it. Basically I think its a 1L bottle with the top cutoff and inverted, so the nose of it is pointed in. Also try searching the web. Theres a lot of trap designs out there. You might catch some of your other fish/inverts, no worries, just let them out. Goodluck!
-SD

wwfstyle

So far no I haven't seen anyone disappear. I'm mostly concern on how he got in. Since my LR has been in for at least 8 months and this now happens.