How do you know

santaclaws

So Still doing research have noob question I understand about fish and bioload and all that but I could not find this anywhere. How do you know how many corals and such to add to a tank . Thanks Pat

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclaws http:///t/388300/how-do-you-know#post_3423631
So Still doing research have noob question I understand about fish and bioload and all that but I could not find this anywhere. How do you know how many corals and such to add to a tank . Thanks Pat

LOL....as many as you can find a space for. Running carbon will keep down chemical warfare, and a little coral food and the right lighting...watch the nitrates and phosphates to keep them low as possible and your good to go. Try to not have different corals touching each other as a general rule, they sting each other and you will see the area that touches will be all drawn up.

teresaq

you can - just run one that is rated for a lrger tank, and also run some type if filter floss
You will also need a couple of small powerheads for flow.
T

teresaq

that something you cant gage really. A lot depends on what you have in your tank. once a month should be fine, unless you have a lot of corals going to war. lol
Hey, just so you know - we love pictures. lol They are a must.

santaclaws

Do not worry when I start to set it up I will add pics. The tank was supposed to be here this week but wont be here till next week. I have to order my sand and rock still I am going to do that today. I told hubby I just want money for Christmas
and a skimmer for my birthday which is 3 days after Christmas.
I figure I should be ready for fish by Jan. If I stay home for New Years Eve and cook him a great meal I figured I can get a pair of clowns out of it

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388300/how-do-you-know#post_3423633
LOL....as many as you can find a space for. Running carbon will keep down chemical warfare, and a little coral food and the right lighting...watch the nitrates and phosphates to keep them low as possible and your good to go. Try to not have different corals touching each other as a general rule, they sting each other and you will see the area that touches will be all drawn up.
Flower, have you read the research on HLLE disease and carbon. I have stopped looking to carbon as a source to remove toxins from my tank. One of my friends was using carbon and his angel fish started showing signs of HLLE with pits on the skin. He stopped using it and about 2 months later, the fish was showing improvement.
Check this link out.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=carbon+and+hlle&pbx=1&oq=carbon+and+hlle&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=124976l128240l0l128706l15l13l0l4l4l0l370l2055l2.4.2.2l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=3a8e0190eb5a90d2&biw=1440&bih=809

snakeblitz33

Unless you got a lot of soft corals, I wouldn't bother running any carbon at all. Usually, people have more problems with high phosphates and temp, pH and alkalinity swings that can be attributed to loss of corals or coral damage than coral toxins. Just run carbon OCCASIONALLY when there's an unexplained phenomenon happening when all your other water parameters are on par.