How do you lower Nitrate levels?

premilove

My nitrate looks to be close to 20 ppm..i just added almost 15 lbs of live sand. is this the reason why? how can i lower it? also, my ammonia level is .5 is that bad?

keebler

What kind of water are you using. Any trace of ammonia is bad. A large water change will offer a solution if your tank is really really new. But, you need to find the source of the problem.

zanoshanox

ammonia is high. do a h20 change. although if you just added livesand that would likely cause all of your levels to spike.

premilove

the nutri sea water.. that is the last thing i put into my tank along with some RO water to top it off. I did a close to 50% change last night..Otherwise i used pure RO water made from a LFS, to top off my tank..since i just added live sand recently, will these levels go down?

premilove

also i have some zoos in there that are new to the tank. they were added friday.. should i remove them?

premilove

yeah i have..ammonia is almost at 0. nitrite 0, alk 8 i think it was maybe 7, calc 430, nitrate was high tho it was like 15 or 20..ph 8.2..is there anyway to lower nitrate levels?

keebler

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2814335
yeah i have..ammonia is almost at 0. nitrite 0, alk 8 i think it was maybe 7, calc 430, nitrate was high tho it was like 15 or 20..ph 8.2..is there anyway to lower nitrate levels?
You must have some bad die off...in any case, water changes provide a quick solution, but if you get some cheato, that helps a lot.

prime311

Ways to export/lower/keep low Nitrate:
Deep Sand Bed
Macroalgae like Chaeto(cultivated in a refugium)
Protein Skimmer
Live Rock
Water Changes
Reduced feeding

karavak

My levels are pretty close to this for my new(funny story about that..) 65g tank.
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = .005
nitrate = 10 or 20 (I don't have my log in front of me)
P.H = 8.4
Temp 77.7
I had just moved from a 46g tank to the 65g and added 20lbs of live sand. But I also dont' have enough live rock to support the 65g tank right now.
so it looks like I need to get the live rock (about 2-3 weeks to order and cycle in trash can), reduce the feeding (till I get the live rock) and water change.
Thanks for the tips!
Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2814335