how do you measure specific gravity?

S

sonicboom1

Wondering how you all measure specific gravity? I have a hydrometer but I dont think it works to well..it seems like the needle sometimes gets stuck and messes up so im not sure what really the specific gravity/salinity is at. Just wondering what you use?

yacobito

I don't have one yet (I also use a hydrometer right now), but I have heard that refractometers are more accurate and cut out some of the possible human error in the measurement.

diane4

I have been using a refractomet - the kind with the plastic lip that folds down over the slide with water sample. It's about the size and shape of a flashlight.
Mine fell and I think I might have broke it. Hasn't worked right since.
I just purchased off the big auction site a meter that will measure in once quick dip the temp, the salinity and SG all in one. For about 100 bucks. Looks good, can't wait to get it. I have never used a hydrometer - heard to many things about them being inacurate or inconsistant. SG, PH and temp are key items in the health of your fish. My thought is, you invest so much in equipment, tanks, fish - why skimp on the key item to measure and assure the healthy levels in your tank.
Throw the hydrometer in the garbage. Better yet, plastic recycling.

S

sonicboom1

yeah im looking for a good refractometer now just dont know what to get haha