How do you mix your saltwater?

sparkee61

When you do water changes, what do you use to mix the water with the salt? Just thought there would be some neat methods that people can share.

coolguy818

Well here is my method:
I take a 5 gallon bucket add my R/O water I buy from the store. Per the LFS if you don't use RED SEA CORAL PRO SALT, becase its made for R/O water. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Buffer to the water and any other salt. I use Oceanic because of the calcium levels.
I mix in 2.5 cups of Salt. Add my heater and a Power head. Then let it mix overnight. I also try and cover it with something........

dawman

I have a 55 gallon rubbermaid garbage can that I fill with RO water . I use the RO Marine additive and them mix in my salt and then a buffer[use Oceanic also] . I have a heater a two big airstones that warm and mix everything overnight . I use a 12 volt bilge pump to pump the premixed water to my tanks . I`m actually thinking of getting another garbage can and connecting them together .

coolguy818

Originally Posted by sparkee61
coolguy,
So I take it you have @ 55 gal tank since youre only doing a 5 gal. water change?
29 gallon...

onefishtwofish

I add ro/di water to a 10 gal tank which is nexat to the sump, add salt and pump into the sump when it's time for a water change.
Is an additive or buffer necessary when I add salt? I'm using Instant Ocean.

dawman

Originally Posted by OnefishTwofish
I add ro/di water to a 10 gal tank which is nexat to the sump, add salt and pump into the sump when it's time for a water change.

You tell us . If all your levels are good then you don`t .

darknes

Originally Posted by OnefishTwofish
No, I wouldn't add anything to it.

eaglephot

I have a garbage can for just mixing that I use. I think its like 32 gallons or something. It makes water changes so easy!

sparkee61

Eaglephot I have a garbage can for just mixing that I use. I think its like 32 gallons or something. It makes water changes so easy!
How do you get the water out of the garbage can? Is the garbage can elevated?

trainfever

I have a Rubbermaid trash can with a lid that I use just for mixing water. I have a 500gph power head in there that continuously mixes the water, it also pumps water back to my sump. Along the side of my backyard, I have a "dedicated hose" to do water changes, it runs to the back of my yard and stays there always. In my tank, there is a hose with a tee that has a ball valve on it. Now when I do a water change, I connect another "drain hose" from the "tee" to the "dedicated hose". I then open the ball valve and drain out whatever amout of water, usually 15-20 gallons. When finished draining, I disconnect the drain hose from the dedicated hose and connect it to the powerhead in the trash can and then pump the new water back into my sump. It sounds complicated but its not and its a lot easier than carrying 5 gallon buckets back and forth.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by sparkee61
How do you get the water out of the garbage can? Is the garbage can elevated?
Just a powerhead and a siphon. Easy as that.

becky913

Originally Posted by trainfever
I have a Rubbermaid trash can with a lid that I use just for mixing water. I have a 500gph power head in there that continuously mixes the water, it also pumps water back to my sump. Along the side of my backyard, I have a "dedicated hose" to do water changes, it runs to the back of my yard and stays there always. In my tank, there is a hose with a tee that has a ball valve on it. Now when I do a water change, I connect another "drain hose" from the "tee" to the "dedicated hose". I then open the ball valve and drain out whatever amout of water, usually 15-20 gallons. When finished draining, I disconnect the drain hose from the dedicated hose and connect it to the powerhead in the trash can and then pump the new water back into my sump. It sounds complicated but its not and its a lot easier than carrying 5 gallon buckets back and forth.

How long is the water good for when mixed and stored in the garbage can?

larryndana

i have a brute trash can that collects my ro/di water, it also has a pump at the bottom of it. I transfer the water into a 20 trash can for mixing. i let it mix for 24hrs. then pump or siphon the mixed water to a tank.

larryndana

Originally Posted by Becky913
Does the water have to be arated in order for it to last?
yeah, it needs to be mixed. after mixing, i'm sure it would be ok.

trainfever

Originally Posted by Becky913
How long is the water good for when mixed and stored in the garbage can?
I guess since salt is a preservative, it could last indefintely. I've been using the trash can for over a year and I dont believe I ever completley emptied it. I just keep adding fresh RO/DI water to whatevers left in the trashcan. As I add more water, I add more salt to it. When I'm about to do a water change, I test the levels and add salt or water to make sure everything is where it should be.