How do you mix your saltwater?

becky913

Boy, no I really feel stupid! Can I keep tap water mixed with Reef Crystals in a garbage can for water changes? Do I need to keep in arated and heated all the time? The RO/DI has me confused. :(

trainfever

Depending on where you live and where your water comes from, there could be various chemicals added to the water to help purify it. While it may not harm us, it can and does harm the fish. That is why it is not recomended to use straight tap water for your aquarium. Do a search on here for reverse osmosis and you will find plenty of threads on the subject.
P.S. Dont feel stupid. I didnt know what RODI was when I first set up my aquarium, most of us didnt.

becky913

Thanks! I have been using tap water (city) and adding stress/declorinating stuff. The LFS guy said my water would be fine. Sound right to you?

trainfever

Well most municipal water suppplies contain phosphate, something you dont want in your tank. Its a cleaning agent used to purify the water. It wont hurt us but your fish wont like it and it will cause unwanted algae in your tank. I suggest buying Ro water from local markets or get yourself an RO filter.

becky913

Originally Posted by larryndana
any other questions on ro/di?
Yes I do. Should I get and RI or DI? Can I use this just in my garbage can of water? I'm feeling pretty lost on this one!

dawman

RO purifies the water 99% , RO with DI purifies 100 % . I only use an RO unit , that extra 1% is not really needed unless you have really bad water .

becky913

Originally Posted by Dawman
RO purifies the water 99% , RO with DI purifies 100 % . I only use an RO unit , that extra 1% is not really needed unless you have really bad water .
No, can I hook a RO up to the garbage can of water I am planning on mixing and keeping in the garage?
Does it run all the time?

larryndana

i have mine hooked up in my laundry room. if you have a reef tank i'd go for ro/di, but if you have a fo or fowlr then go with just the ro. you can always add the di unit later. look at some of the units they sell here at swf.com.
you will have a product line and a waste line. the product line is water that has been purified. the waste line is waste water that is extracted from the unit. you will usually have something like 1 part clean water to 4 or 5 parts waste....like 1gallon of good water and 5 gallons of waste. like stated i have mine in my laundry room, so that i can have my waste line drain in my washing machines drain line....and my purified water goes into a brute can.

larryndana

you can have it set up where you turn it on and where it turns on and off by itself.
i have mine where i turn it on and off.
if you choose to have it automatic, you will have to add a few parts to your unit and to the brute can.

dawman

Originally Posted by Becky913
No, can I hook a RO up to the garbage can of water I am planning on mixing and keeping in the garage?
Does it run all the time?
You need a water line hooked to the RO and as mentioned run the purified water to a garbage can or any container that will hold water . You will need to run the waste line to some sort of drain . I have most my tanks in my basement and installed a laundry sink . My RO is mounted by the sink for the waste line and a brute garbage can next to it for the purified line .