How do you mourn for the dead?

steve40

Today is a sad day. The loss of an inocent life. I hadn't seen my lawnmower blenny for a couple of days and today I had notice it decided to go carpet diving and found him crusted to the carpet. I put him in a bag and layed him in the trash can and stood there for a moment of silence.
Do you think puting the fish in the trash or flushing them is more respectable?

moopiespoo

I make a little coffin and bury them in my fish cemetary J/K. Just like wablondie said some I flush, some I toss, my lionfish was the only one who had a coffin ,a babywipe tub, I didn't want anybody gettin stung.

drakken

Originally posted by STEVE40
Today is a sad day. The loss of an inocent life. I hadn't seen my lawnmower blenny for a couple of days and today I had notice it decided to go carpet diving and found him crusted to the carpet. I put him in a bag and layed him in the trash can and stood there for a moment of silence.
Do you think puting the fish in the trash or flushing them is more respectable?

Sorry to hear that.
I just lost a salfin tang then the next day I found that our long nose hawk went carpet surfing. He jumped out while I had the lid open and was getting the sailfin out.
To answer your question - mostly I flush the fish but the bigger ones get burried in the woods on my property.

krishj39

Usually they go in a zip loc the freezer first to wait until trash day. While I don't want to forget the fish, I don't want to be reminded by the foul smell in my house all week. They get thrown in the trash right before the can goes to the curb.
Sorry you lost the LMB, Steve.

dacia

My fish get the same treatment as do my other pets and family members. They are buried. When one dies, I put him in a ziploc bag with some tank water, and I bury him in my yard somewhere.
I wouldn't throw my dog Buddy in the trash if he died on trash day, so why would I do the same to my fish? They are family members too.
And I'm not kidding.
~*Karen*~

dacia

Oh no, my kitten just died, I think I'm going to go out and replace it right away just like I do all those stupid little fish...:mad:

polarpooch

Oh no, my kitten just died, I think I'm going to go out and replace it right away just like I do all those stupid little fish.

Ugh.
So how long to mourn a fish? How long should Steve40 or any of us wait before getting a new one? Please let us know!

dacia

So how long to mourn a fish? How long should Steve40 or any of us wait before getting a new one? Please let us know
My statement was not meant for you or most other people here. It was meant for certain person who already stated that he is a hunter and fisherman who doesn't care about fish lives, and he has 2 tangs plus many other fish in a 46 gallon tank. This person obviously doesn't care about the hobby or the lives he is risking.

It all depends on how much you have become attached and how long you have had a fish. My sixline lasted only 3 days, so I am going to buy a fish fairly soon.
That is, after reseacrhing it throughly!:D

drakken

Originally posted by SteelChromis
It all depends on how much you have become attached and how long you have had a fish. My sixline lasted only 3 days, so I am going to buy a fish fairly soon.
That is, after reseacrhing it throughly!:D

A six line is good for your tank (I followed your other post). Hopefully you will have better luck.
Even though we only had our longnose hawk for 4 days both my wife and I really liked him and are sad he went carpet surfing. I would like to get another one soon.