How Do You Raise Ph Safely??

mrinelfrlz

my ph as of today is @ 8.0 its always been at 8.2-4 but today i tested it and 8.0 now i was told at the LFS to use marine pro buffer but as ive been reading here im told dont use buffers but i dont under stand my alkalinity is 13 dkH and i thought if ph was low then so was alkalinity
but can anyone tell me how to raise ph safely
and shead some light on the ph/alk. thing

thanks

reefreak29

what time of the day did u take a ph mines usually around 7.8to 7.9 . 8.0 is fine as long as its not 8.0 then 8.6 during the day

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by reefreak29
what time of the day did u take a ph mines usually around 7.9 to 7.9 . 8.0 is fine as long as its not 8.0 then 8.6 during the day
i just took it

earlybird

By during the day reefreak means during the middle of your lighting schedule. Photosynthesis affects pH. When your lights are off pH will decrease and increase with photosynthetic activity during the day.

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by earlybird
By during the day reefreak means during the middle of your lighting schedule. Photosynthesis affects pH. When your lights are off pH will decrease and increase with photosynthetic activity during the day.
my MHs came on at 10 this morning

mrinelfrlz

when was your last water change? Have you tested cal and alk?
a couple of days ago
calcium-345ppm
i now thats low cal. but with the high alk. and my ph as low as it is can this be right
like i said i thought alk. and ph were closely related?
i would like to find out how to raise ph safely also
without buffers(my alk. is high enough as it is)
thanks

earlybird

Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz
a couple of days ago
calcium-345ppm
i now thats low cal. but with the high alk. and my ph as low as it is can this be right
like i said i thought alk. and ph were closely related?
i would like to find out how to raise ph safely also
without buffers(my alk. is high enough as it is)
thanks
There's a really good article by Randy Holmes Farley called "Chemistry In the Reef Aquarium." Google it and check it out. It's about alk and calcium. Get these in check and then assess your pH.

mrinelfrlz

There's a really good article by Randy Holmes Farley called "Chemistry In the Reef Aquarium." Google it and check it out. It's about alk and calcium. Get these in check and then assess your pH.
from my reading so far that is what ive been told
but ive also read magnesium is the reason cal. wont go up as well and iodine is a good one to keep in check as well
so ive ordered
(all kent)
liquid calcium
tech I (for keeping iodine in check)
tech M (for magnesium)
also so far i have
coralvite
essential elements
and to boust my filtration today i just got in my 45lbs of LR together now i will have 95lbs so doing better on that as well
i also have an algae problem and was told cal. and everything in check will help with that too

reefreak29

ty

mrinelfrlz

ty

i see what you mean my im now reading 8.15 ph
im using a digital ph meter calibrated with 7.01-10.01 calibration fluid

reefreak29

i see what you mean my im now reading 8.15 ph
im using a digital ph meter calibrated with 7.01-10.01 calibration fluid

its best to test your ph at the same time everytime u test for it if your lights are on at 10 i would test at 4pm

hatessushi

A pH of 8.0 is not low. Ocean water ranges anywhere from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas with 7.8 being the average. What you really want is stability so as not to change more then .2 in a 24 hour period.

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
A pH of 8.0 is not low. Ocean water ranges anywhere from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas with 7.8 being the average. What you really want is stability so as not to change more then .2 in a 24 hour period.
i was just alittle worried because i thought the best ph to try to stay at is around 8.3-8.4

mrinelfrlz

its best to test your ph at the same time everytime u test for it if your lights are on at 10 i would test at 4pm
thats one thing i dont do is test at the same time each day never really thought it mattered but i see now it does

reefreak29

but if ph was supper low how would i raise it though without buffers?
depends if your ph is really lo your alk will most likely be low to i like to bake bakeing soda in the oven at 350 for 1 hr ad add slowly to tank 1 tsp per 20 gal.about

efishnsea

depends if your ph is really lo your alk will most likely be low to i like to bake bakeing soda in the oven at 350 for 1 hr ad add slowly to tank 1 tsp per 20 gal.about
reefreak, why put it in the oven :thinking: , it must help with solubility

reefreak29

Originally Posted by efishnsea
reefreak, why put it in the oven :thinking: , it must help with solubility

baking soda alone raises alkalinity .when u bake it it releases the co2 and will raise the ph as well. I personally dont like to adjust ph. usually a low ph when alk is normal is do to organic overload or ammonia in your tank imo the best way to change the ph is to do a water change I personally wouldnt add chemicals to just adjust ph .this is an indicater that something else is going on that needs to be fixed

mrinelfrlz

im going to test at 4:00 like you said and i will post results after im done