How do you replace evaportated water

fish fry

Hey guys,
I'm wondering on how people replace evaportated water on tanks without sumps.
On a previous tank I would just add water throughout the day. I'm looking for a way to keep my conditions a little more stable, but I don't want to invest in a dosing pump if I don't have to.
Thanks
Fish Fry
How sensitive are mushrooms and soft corals to minor changes in salinity? There might be times when I am away from the tank for a day or two. Is this going to be a problem?

ironreef

you can get nice dosing pumps on ---- if you win the bid @$60 otherwise there is no easy way without a sump. Unless you dump it in everyday or use a float valve with a bucket above your tank.I would like to hear but theres very little options without a sump???

fish fry

Thanks Ironreef,
That is kind of what I figured, although I was wishing someone had an idea. The tank is a small desktop that is located in a bedroom so I want it as quiet as possible, hence no skimmer, no overflow. I'm going to give it a couple months if it doesn't work out I'll add a sump.
Thanks
fish Fry

wally

Use an IV bag. See if your doctor will give you one. They work great for dosing water or whatever. You can also make one by using a 2 liter soda bottle. Drill a small hole in the bottom side of it and insert a piece of rigid tubing in it. Then silicone around it to make sure everything is water tight. Then attach a piece of airline to the rigid tubing. About half way between the bottle and your tank place a "plastic air control valve" make sure you use a plastic one not a brass one so you don't leech metals into your water. You can then regulate the valve to get just a tiny drip.
All you need to do then is figure out how much water you loose a day to evaporation and add that amount to your bottle.

ironreef

your computor is louder than the dosing pumps or atleast the one i have. Spectrapure is quiet but alot. for a small tank the ones you find on ---- are rebuilt medicall doser but only do 1.8 gpd. Should be enough??? i can send you a link if you don't know which ones to look at?? But most ppl who sell them have websites and are easy to deal with IME

fish fry

Wally - Have you had any problems adjusting them. I had tried a DIY one a couple years ago it, it worked well until I realized I could put above my sofa and drip beer into my mouth. Don't knock it till you try it.
Ironreef - if you have those links I'd appreciated it. Tomn14@hotmail.com
Are they as reliable/easy to use as the Spectrapure?
Thanks
Fish Fry