How do you test Dip stick or chemical?

zoie2

Just wondering how most of you test your water. I bought a chem. lab kit that tests the PH, Alk, trites, trates, Amonia. takes about 15 minutes to test the water, but I like it and thought it would be more accurate. When I bring my water to LFS to get tested, they use a dip stick so I picked some of those up. I get about the same reading. Although my lab reads the Alk. like 2.9 and the dip stick says 300. I don't get that, but oh well.
Which do you use?

fedukeford

i use the dip stick thing to test weekly, and when i start to see something unusual with my fish/inverts i use a chemical lab thing to test

codered

I used to have a freshwater aquarium, and I had some leftover 5-in-1 test strips that I used when I started my saltwater tank. (The strips could be used for either, and had different "color cards" for the different tanks.) However, I couldn't get the colors to match up in a suitable manner.
So I switched to chemical, and I'll never go back to strips. The strips are faster, but in my experience, the chemicals are more accurate AND cheaper.
Code Red

mimzy

Originally Posted by CodeRed
I used to have a freshwater aquarium, and I had some leftover 5-in-1 test strips that I used when I started my saltwater tank. (The strips could be used for either, and had different "color cards" for the different tanks.) However, I couldn't get the colors to match up in a suitable manner.
So I switched to chemical, and I'll never go back to strips. The strips are faster, but in my experience, the chemicals are more accurate AND cheaper.
Code Red
ditto