HOW does everyone feed their aggresive tank?

microman2k

everytime i feed my puffer, he doesnt eat all his food (i just drop in some *tiny* pieces of shrimp, too small to remove after he is done) and it just sets in there and causes algae problems, what can i do to feed him and avoid this? i cant have a cleanup crew, cause they will get eaten, so what does everyone else do?

moto757

have you tried a cleanup crew or just think they will get eaten my trigger doesn't bother any crabs or large snails cause he can't get them off the glass or rock. You never know till you try some at least. I feed mine small portions 2-3 times daily so I know they will eat it all every time

microman2k

well i threw a dead zebra crab in his tank and he nibbled on it, but i guess i could give it a try...........:yes:

dicemanj

I have a puffer and a trigger, with both snails and crabs with no problems yet. I just added more yesterday, when the were first in one of the crabs and 1 snail were on its back and the niger picked at them both. Once I put them upright they are fine.
You feed your fish 2-3 times a day?
I have heard every other day, once a day, twice a day. How often should you realy feed them

moto757

i dunno but they eat all the food every time i feed them i mean how many times do we eat a day and fish are very active wellthe ones i have so they must burn alot of energy plus in the wild they are always on the prowl for food. I went one day with out feeding them and my trigger was about to bust my lid off when i walked in the room.

tangguy

feed him live foods. They like to hunt their food. You will find that they will eat better when live food is added to tank. Try rosie reds or ghost shrimp

innsmouth

I feed every other day to every three days to keep nitrates as low as possible. Cleanup crews just don't work in my tank. My tusk and puffer will eat snails and hermits and my zebra moray eats emeralds like he hasn't eaten in a year. Loves em.

gkp

If you are feeding shrimp you should remove some of the shells( the shells produce a large amount of nit.)puffers do not need the shells for nutrition like some other fish do. This small step will reduce nitrates by itself.
When I feed my aggresives I feed one chunk at a time and make sure it is all eaten mind you if they eat it ALL, the nitrates will still be an issue becouse of the types of food these fish eat.

gasguzzler

To solve the leftover food problem, I hand feed everything. The only ones that dont get hand fed, are the Zebra (he gets a stick) and the Lion. He comes right to the top when the tank is open and I throw in chunks of stuff until he swims away. Im going to take feeding pics tonight but I wont be able to post them until they come install the DSL on my new PC.

kittykitty

Originally posted by tangguy
feed him live foods. They like to hunt their food. You will find that they will eat better when live food is added to tank. Try rosie reds or ghost shrimp

You should not feed rosies and ghost shrimp as a staple diet to ANY saltwater fish. There is no nutrition in these feeders whatsoever, and your fish will be rather short-lived.

samantha68

feeding anenomes??? store says feeders or fozen mysis shrimp...they will not eat the mysis shrimp at all ??????
my lions the volitan will eat feeders and i can't seem to get him to eat anything else......my other is the same .....

samantha68

feeding anenomes??? store says feeders or fozen mysis shrimp...they will not eat the mysis shrimp at all ??????
my lions the volitan will eat feeders and i can't seem to get him to eat anything else......my other is the same .....

gkp

The green is in a 125 untill my pond is built then he will be in there. I have larger tanks but the 125 is fine for now..