How does this aquascaping look?

skrimpz

I'm not liking how my aquascaping if going i dont know exactly how to do it when preparing for polps and soft corals etc im gonna try and get a little more rock so i can make the rock go up higher but is there anyway to serure the rock cause once i have corals and stuff i cant move the rock correct? please let me know what you think... thanx

granny

You Have A Good Variety, But You Are Right That You Need Lots More Rock.
Its The Most Expensive Part Of The Tank (at $10 A Pop At My Lfs It Is!)
You Do Want Lots Of Caves For Swimming In And Out Of, Hiding Spots And Aeration As Well.
You Can Connect Your Rock-i Dont Know How To Do It, But I Now Many People Use A Bonding Material And Also Drill Their Rocks And Tie Them Together With Something.
But If You Build A Wide Base, First, Then Simply Build On Top Of It, In A Pyramid Shape, That Give You Ledges At Each Stage To Set Your Livstock On-at Different Heights. Then Each Level Is Stabilized By The Layer Below It.
Dont Ever Leave A Rock That Is Wobbly Or Can Be Pushed Off-disaster Pending. Just Set Each Rock Firmly On The Rocks Below It-i Used Less Expensive Base Rock And Tufa Rock For The Foundation Which Came Almost To The Glass In Front-just Enough Room For Cleaning-and Then Built Each Level Higher And Higher. Take A Look At The Reef Pics On This Web Site-there Are Some Great Ones-and You Can See How They Are Stacked.
Something You Could Do So You Dont Have To Spend Your Entire Fortune Onlive Rock Right Now, Is Do One Side Of The Tank At A Time-then Just Add To The Other Side As You Go.

1journeyman

I've heard of people drilling holes in the rock and using zip ties to secure it.
For me.. mine just stacked well.
Be sure to put rocks all the way on the bottom of the tank so borrowers can't cause an avalanche.
Is your anemone ok? It looks awfully white.

skrimpz

ok thatnx everyone ill try getting a sealent i guess i know ive seen them before at LFS i just got the anenome 2 days ago from here, hes been the same color the whole time he moves around alot so i assumed he was ok ( the tank also was kinda cloudy making evrythink look whiter cause i have stirred stuff up when i was moving the rock)
i took a closer pic of the anenome when i was takinh pic of the rock here it is again

1journeyman

Definitely a better picture... but it still looks bleached to me (I'm far... from an expert though...). Try posting the pic to the clownfish/anemone forum and see what they say over there.

mikeyjer

Some more rocks would be nice. I do see you need to fill that tank up a bit more though. With that water splashing down into your tank, it's putting in a lot of micro-bubbles. I don't see any powerheads in your tank. Is that a protein skimmer putting water in or is that a bio-wheel?? Any other filtration system?? What kind of light are you running right now?? :happyfish

skrimpz

Yea i took some water out will i was aquascaping and didnt want any to overflow and make a mess while i was doing it. right now i have a fluval 204, pengiun 150, and a seaclone but i am gonna get ride off alll those and get a emperor 80 and a superskimmer over the next few weeks because i live at home and i am trying to make the tank maintance as simple as i can get so when i move out my mom wont have any problems i know i always see peps using emporors so thats what i figurded i get The lights are the series by coralife it has the double light bulb thing of an antinic and 10,000k ( each 96 watts) i beleive and then its got the lunar lights on it so

pfitz44

no, thats the coralife PC light fizture.. still not enough for an anenome though.. they def need MH lights....
Superglue Gell is all you need to secure teh rock... Lowes/HD carries it

skrimpz

well what is the 4 wtts per gallon rule for then, i was told by 2 diff store that i didnt need mh for ane

pfitz44

The WPG rule is just a rule of thumb... thats all... gets you in the general ball park
everystore will tell you that you dont need them because its a sale. Bottom line is that they are in it to make the money. MH have a stronger, more pure light that anemone needs to thrive.
Bottom line: Does it 100% need MH lights??? no, it will live, but just bairly.