How does this sound?

badasstang

I went into my favorite LFS to buy one fish, wanting to make a quick in and out trip...which ended up being about 40 minutes. But I was talking to one of the owners that got me into the saltwater tank, and was talking about a large tank, and he told me he has plans (and has one in his house) for a 1600 tank. But I told him I wanted no less than 125 gallon as my next tank, which wouldn't probably be in a permanent place...his eyes lit up and offered me this:
Now, I don't know all the specifications, he just gave me a brief overview.
275-300 Gallon plywood/glass tank (3 sides plywood, front glass). On a stand w/wheels (which would be removed)...was used for trout at one time
How much?
Well he had to sign something when he received it saying he would give it away for free, and thats what he wants...he just said I need to bring a trailor. It is 8 feet x 28"?, but I forgot about the height because all I was thinking about was the ideas going through my head.
I don't remember anything else for sure (small attention span too). But I think I remember something about a sump.
Anyways, I can't keep it in my apartment I don't think because it would be a pain in the @$$ to move in a few months, so I am hoping my dad will either store it in his house, or just set it up until I can keep it permanetly.
What would something like this be worth? I don't really know the exact condition, but he said it is in great condition. Let me know what you all think

toddpolish

sounds like the guy built the stand himself.
not sure what the tank itself would be worth, but what's the diff if he's giving it to you for free...

badasstang

Alright Ace, thanks for the advice, as soon as I get the address, I will relay it to you!! RIGHT.
And about building the tank himself, I don't think he did (though can't prove it) because since he has "owned" it he has had it in a shed.

toddpolish

the stand he probably built, not the tank. just a guess.
good for you though. Free is always sweet. Quite a savings.

joerdie

wait, wait, wait. he said that he had to sign something saying that he would give it away for free??? I do know of some cases where a nfp (not for profit) company takes donations and can use them as they see fit as lon as they dont sell them but your lfs is NOT an nfp company. it sounds great and i would take a look at it but why would he sign something saying that he could only give it away.

bang guy

Originally posted by broncofish
They are not worth much. There are instruction on how to build them at garf.org.

Have you priced 8' of 1/2" glass?

broncofish

Sorry I guess i should have said in comparison to a regular all glass tank, acrylic tank, or bowfront tank they are not worth as much. I'm not saying i wouldn't take it either, I'd have to put it in my garage, but I would take it.

badasstang

Yeah, wooden tank, except the front. Most of the build-it-yourselfers are that way, cheaper, and stronger when doing it yourself. Just don't have the viewing pleasure of all sides.