how effective has qt with hypo been for yall?

bbreaux1

i am planning on qt all new fish using hypo and looks like ill use a 20gal or so rubbermaid container, whisperfilter, and get refratormeter instead of just a floating hydrometer from hearing about thier inaccuracy and considering the accuracy needed for hypo. i was just wondering for those people who have qt all thier fish if they have had any problems with ich or anything.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have had no problems with sick fish coming into my reef tank after QT. If they are sick, they get threated in QT. If they are infected, they get treated before going into my reef. If they are going to die because they come to me too sick, then they die in my QT, not my tank.
So far, works 100% for me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No.
Now that is not to say that a fish won't die or get sick. But the chances of actually introducing a contagious disease in to your main tank are just about nill if you QT.
Every living animal can get sick and die. That's just nature.

bbreaux1

yeah thats fine just id rather limit my chances of another ich outbreak if i decide to get another flame angel down the line lfs charges 50$ for them. know any good places to get good rarfractors and how easy are they to use?

bbreaux1

im going to be qting my fish about an hour and a half from home while im at school this transfer shouldnt effect the fish too much if i say put it in a large bag of water into a small igloo icechest or something right?