How frequently do you test your water??

andgott

I overheard a conversation at the LFS, And it got me thinking- How often do YOU test your water??
I did it regularly (1-2 times daily) back during the cycle, and now do it 1-2 times per week, and before/after any major changes (water changes, additions of critters, etc). But, How often do you do it??
(edit) Poll thingey didnt work like I wanted, so just post!
-Andrew

blitz99

every other day cuz i have new fish in a new tank and am watching the cycle...
but i will be going to once a week next week.

wbilton

it's been over a month then I tested last week and my amonia was at 1:scared: I did a wc and have been checking every other day since

T

thomas712

I test once or twice a week, however I also watch my corals for signs of something wrong, once you get to know them they can tell you alot about whats going on with the tank.
Also whenever I do regular maintenance or add new livestock.
Thomas

badkharma

Once a month, if that. And only Ph, Calc and Alk. If something looks "fishy"
with the fish, then I check it right away - but that hasn't happened in months. If everything is running smoothly, I just let it be. The most frequent thing I check is salinity with the good 'ol refractometer when doing water changes.

andgott

Wow.. Great response.
I try to do it a couple of times a week, unless making changes to the tank. Any new additions (fish, etc), and I try to test daily, at least for ammonia...
I also use some of those relativly quick and inexpensive test strips- I dont find that they have a very high accuracy, BUT they do indicate the presence or absence of ammonia/rites/rates, which If they find, I then 'follow up' with a better quality test kit to get an actual level... I suppose this is akin to using one of the ammoniAlert badges, it provides a quick indicator of what is amiss, if anything.
I brought this whole subject up because I overheard someone at a LFS that had never tested his tank- He got it from a friend, and didnt know much about it... 3 months into it, he added a bunch of fish (like 6 at once) and suprise suprise, the tank CRASHED...