How good is it?

dindi

I am thinking of buying a Vortex Diatom Filter has anyone had experience with this filter? any help would be greatful and more than appreciated.

jerrybsal

Stay away from that filter....
It is the biggest piece of ****. It does an amazing job at clearing up your water,but it clogs up very fast. It takes a lot of time to clean up,and you need to do it at least once or twice per week,and I mean taking the entire filter apart. The filter bag does not last very much and needs replacement often, Not cheap.The biggest problems I had with it is the water will always leak from the impeller. You need to put a special oil and replace that as well often. So in summary it is very high maintanence and leaks too much and clogs every week. The water flow is not correct . Mine lasted 4 months and now sits in the garage.Trust me it is a pain to clean and change.

wrasse man

I too owned a Diatom and yes it does get the water sparkling clean. I wound up throwing mine away because I got tired of buying the cloth bag that you use in it. The damn thing kept tearing as I would be taking the unit apart to clean it. No matter how hard I tried being careful with it, it still ripped. At $24.00 a pop NO THANKS!!! Now as far as polishing your water goes, it did do an incredible job. Sometimes though I wondered was it too clean as in removing too many nutrients???