How Good Is The Quality Of Swf 20 Pounds Of Lr

rubberduck

CAN I HERE SOME INPUT ON HOW GOOD THE QUALITY OF SWF'S LIVE ROCK IS. IS IT CURED.
CAN I HERE SOME COMENTS ON HOW IT IS AND HOW GOOD OF SHAPES IT COMES IN (PLUS HOW GOOD THE SHIPPING IS)
THX GUYS

rubberduck

i heard that the florida lr was smaller than expected so i decided to get FUJI lr. is there anyone who has had good success with this site's lr. is 20-25 pound of lr ok for a 29 gallon with already 5 pounds in it?

T

tizzo

It's a good deal...$4 pound, free shipping
It has been precured but you WILL need to recure it due to die-off during shipping...
I love all of mine!! 50 Figi/50 Florida...

jarice1978

How long do you need to recure it for?
I just ordered the same thing(20 - 25 lbs FIJI LR) and was hopeing to put it in the main tank as soon as possible.
How much damage can really occur in a day of shipping?
Adam:confused:

liontamer

Well, here is 20 pounds of the florida stuff, over in the right hand corner of my tank. THis is a couple monthes old though...
PS- dont mind the nasty algae, that was there before the rocks were there, and i have fixed that problem, so...yea kinda embarassing..lol

T

tizzo

Originally posted by jarice1978
How long do you need to recure it for?
I just ordered the same thing(20 - 25 lbs FIJI LR) and was hopeing to put it in the main tank as soon as possible.
How much damage can really occur in a day of shipping?
Adam:confused:

A day of shipping can cause enough die off to crash an entire established tank. I know because it did mine. If done properly, it can be recured in as little as 2 weeks.
Oh and Suver...
:hilarious

jarice1978

Here is the exact email instruction I recieved from this website:
Dear Joe ,
Your Live Rock for order # #### was shipped today via Fedex 2nd Day service. Your Fedex tracking number is: ########
Dear Friend,
Thanks for ordering from Saltwaterfish.com. This email is to inform you that your Live Rock has been shipped. It was shipped with FedEx's 2nd Day service. If your package does not arrive prior to 4pm on the day it is scheduled to arrive, please email fish@saltwaterfish.com and contact 1-800-GOFEDEX with your tracking number.
If you chose to have your package held at the FedEx station it will be available for pickup after 9am on the day it is scheduled to arrive.
Live Rock does not need to be acclimated like fish or invertebrates. You can add it directly to your tank. You can rinse off the rock if you would like, but be sure to only rinse it with saltwater, not freshwater.

Thanks again for ordering from Saltwaterfish.com. If you have any questions please email fish@saltwaterfish.com.
Don't forget to join the mailing list to receive great specials from Saltwaterfish.com.
I am planning to rinse in saltwater and put it in...:)

fishman830

Here is the exact email instruction I recieved from this website:
Dear Joe ,
Your Live Rock for order # #### was shipped today via Fedex 2nd Day service. Your Fedex tracking number is: ########
Dear Friend,
Thanks for ordering from Saltwaterfish.com. This email is to inform you that your Live Rock has been shipped. It was shipped with FedEx's 2nd Day service. If your package does not arrive prior to 4pm on the day it is scheduled to arrive, please email fish@saltwaterfish.com and contact 1-800-GOFEDEX with your tracking number.
If you chose to have your package held at the FedEx station it will be available for pickup after 9am on the day it is scheduled to arrive.
Live Rock does not need to be acclimated like fish or invertebrates. You can add it directly to your tank. You can rinse off the rock if you would like, but be sure to only rinse it with saltwater, not freshwater.

Thanks again for ordering from Saltwaterfish.com. If you have any questions please email fish@saltwaterfish.com.
Don't forget to join the mailing list to receive great specials from Saltwaterfish.com.
I am planning to rinse in saltwater and put it in...:)

not to an established tank i hope

jarice1978

So even though saltwaterfish.com says it is okay to, I am not supposed to? Why do they instruct people to do so???:notsure:

T

tizzo

I got that same letter and did the same thing you are planning. I added it straight to my tank. I had to leave my house to go to a church slumber party. The next morning when I called my hubby, he informed me that everything in my tank had died through the night. I was literally shaking with worry... I had no idea it was the rock. I tested all the params, my ammonia test only went as high as 6 and it was there. I wrote SWF and I was livid!! They told me that they would refund my money if I sent the rock back but I would have to pay shipping. They also informed me that they cannot be responsible for the aquarists lack of knowledge. Then they suggested these boards to learn a thing or two. Oooohhh, I was so mad!! But when I finally did do some research, I learned that it is only a matter of common sence to realize that aquatic bacteria will die off when it's only atmosphere for 2 days is wet newspaper. I smelled it and didn't smell anything so I threw it right in. Learned later that although these things died they have not actually started to rot yet and thus I wouldn't smell anything. Long story...shorter, I didn't want my display tank to turn into a disgusting "curing vat", so I moved everything to a rubbermaid bin and cured it seperately. Put your rock in saltwater for just one night, test it the next day and then you will be glad that you didn't add it straight to your tank.:yes:

T

tizzo

So even though saltwaterfish.com says it is okay to, I am not supposed to? Why do they instruct people to do so???:notsure:

A lot of people use live rock to cycle their tank. SWF does not tell you that you should add this to your display tank, they are actually saying that whenever you DO put it in water, that you don't need to "acclimate" it. No drip method necessary. They never "instruct" people to add it to their tanks, they simply say you can. Your rock will not suffer, but your tank will!! If you want more responses, post a poll in the reef forum. Those people usually have this kinda knowledge also. Good Luck!!:)

jarice1978

I will try that. Thanks alot for the information.
Do you think one night in a tub of saltwater will do it? And how can I tell when it is ready?
Also, to give it a jump start, rinsing it in the sink with saltwater will probably remove a lot of the dead material won't it?
:)

T

tizzo

One night in a tub of saltwater will not cure it...I suggest you do that so the next day when you test it you will notice the ammonia and be very glad that you did that. Personally, I don't think rinsing it will matter one way or the other. You can rinse it and you may actually remove some of the dead stuff, but you will never remove it all and it will need to be cured anyway. When I cured my LR I did a 50-80% water change every other day, so in essence that is essentially the same as rinsing it.

T

tizzo

In conclusion...(I think...)
Since the LR is "precured" it will only take about 2 weeks to recure it. If it had never been cured before, you're lookin' at about 6!!

nikkoli110

Hello, we had another thread going about the lr i ordered from here, its ok so far, but I think its going to be great when I get it in my tank. Tomorow will be 2 weeks since I got it, and I will be adding it this weekend. Saw the ammonia spike go sky high, and then the nitrites, and now ammonia is at 0, trites are almost gone, and nitrate is about 20. So one more water change tonight, and I will be adding it saturday. Gonna be a pain, I'm planning on taking out everything, corals, fish (whatever ones I can actually get out) and then rearranging the rock, mixing in the figi i have now and the new florida. So I will post some pics after if anyone would like! And by the way Tizzo, thanks for all the help!!! :D

T

tizzo

You are using it to cycle then you are curing it. It will go through all the spikes of the regular curing process, you are simply using those spikes to your advantage.:)