How good is your skimmer??

clayton

If I set my skimmer to produce 1 drip of effluent a minute, then the product is a green to slight brown colour and has a visibility if about 5-6 inches.
I am wodering how much more protein there is floating around the tank.
If everybody lists the rate and concentration of the waste from their skimmers then this may give us an indication of varying levels of protein in peoples tanks.
It may help to provide answers to other problems!!

chuck

My skimmer produces about 2 cups of fluid every 3-4 days. The product stinks real bad so I assume it is working quite well.

kass

Geez Clayton your a little heavy on the tech stuff arent u hehe. How many drips per? Sorry I'm just kidding please don't get mad. I have a berlin skimmer and it gets very dark gunk. Maybe 1/4 inch a day. I just got it a few months ago and put it on my 150 thats been running for 4 yrs with a skilter and I thought it would fill up the cup in an hour hehe, but it never skimmed alot but is much darker. I think it just removes the protien more concentrated. Unless my pump isn't sufficient. I have a mag 7 running it that was recomended where I bought it. They say it should be milky with bubbles not clear at all.
[This message has been edited by kass (edited 05-21-2000).]

krazzydart

I use a seaclone and it picks up about 1/2 cup per day dark and stinky..... on my 250 i have a wet-dry trickle with a skimmer built in and get about 1 cup per day....dark and slimy and fishy smelling.

kmr

I get about 3/8 inch daily in my collection cup. Dark and stinky. To rate ones skimmer wouldn't we need to know water test results and feeding habits (including food types). I like your idea. Oh ya I use a Knop hang on operating on a 55g reef. Maxi-jet 1200 pump.
[This message has been edited by KMR (edited 05-26-2000).]

clayton

Originally posted by KMR:
I get about 3/8 inch daily in my collection cup. Dark and stinky. To rate ones skimmer wouldn't we need to know water test results and feeding habits (including food types). I like your idea. Oh ya I use a Knop hang on operating on a 55g reef. Maxi-jet 1200 pump.
[This message has been edited by KMR (edited 05-26-2000).]

Yea, it would be much better, but the only way I could think of that we could give a practical estimation of the concentration was visibility. Cool if we could come up with something better though..........