how hard are cup corals?

bdhough

No food
Pc's are fine unless brightly colored, then halides would be better.
Low-middle flow. Gentle sway.
Placement should be in accordance with lighting.
In general an intermediate coral.

murph145

so i have 400W of pc over my 100 is that enough?>
i was told my the lfs it was.... i did some research on it before i bought one.... its a bluish pink tone one.... like 6" in diameter looks nice....
i had to get rid of my rabbit fish cuz he kept nippin at the polyps...
i was also wondering i notice it excretes a lot of mucus at times.... is this normal? i think i might have given him light shock too because i see a few lil bubbles on his skin by one of the polyps.... the lfs i bought it from had a couple 175W halides over a 200gallon tank and i think my tanks a lot brighter with the pcs.... can this happen??
thats the only thing i noticed today so i moved him to the lower part of the tank was that a good move?

bdhough

I would keep him higher in the tank closer to the lights. A slime secretion means hes being irritated by something. If your rabbit was nipping him that could cause it. Find a spot up higher in yoru tank and let him sit a couple weeks. If the polyps are extending well and he maintains his color then he should be good. If he turns brownish then you may not be giving him enough light. I don't think that will happen. IF the polyps are not extending then look for something irritating him such as high water flow or a fish in your case.

murph145

ok cool... ill keep him up higher then and see what happens...
u dont think the little bubbles are a sign of light shock>?
thats y i was moving him

promisetbg

Are we talking about a pagoda cup?Turbinaria?Mine greedily accepted food..and looked great after each feeding.They will slime if in the wrong flow,or messed with.I found that mine preferred to be in moderate flow,and at the top of my rockwork under MH's and VHO's.

bdhough

Bubbles could be from anything. Did he produce them or is a powerhead/filter producing thim. A bubble could stick to his slime and sit there. If you dont' see discoloration in the coral or small dead spots i wouldn't worry about it.
And i don't think you can light shock it considering it went from halide down to pcs..... Halides put out a magnitude greater amount of light than pcs. Im not sure what it is but its alot.

murph145

ok yeah i think the slime is from being moved around and from the fox face pickin on him at first.... so i put him back in the top of the tank.... hes opened up but i see some irritation marks on his skin .... not sure if its from the fox face or what....
can you guys tell me what your water prameters are that are keeping a cup coral.... heres mine
temp 79
ph8.1-8.3
am 0
ni 0
na 0
ca 460
ph.01-.02 put phos sponge in 2 days ago 2 lower it
sg 1.0245
lighting 400W pc
how does all of that sound? im just tryin to make sure it will be ok id hate to ever have it die on me its so nice lookin and kinda pricey...
thanks for the input...
heres a pic maybe u can tell me exactly what it is...!

promisetbg

It is a pagoda.Is it brown..it should be a nice green color?400 wts of PC's over a 100 gal?
My parameters differ in that I have no PO4..my CAL is 450,temp 80,SG.1.025
On a 75 gal. I have 2 X 250 10 K MH's and 4X 110 Actinic VHO's.

murph145

so u say its a pagoda cup??
ok cool they just had it down as a table coral and i didnt think it was one of those....
the color is more of a blue/pink color....
so do u think 400W is enough over my 100g?