how hard is it to keep a nano

dunga

Hi im new to the reef hobby im trying to put together a 20 to 30 gallon reef tank.What would be a good filter what kind of power head should i use , the sand ,heater .Im thinking i have a emperor 400 filter you guys think that would work . I will apreciate your info thanks

xlr8

Welcome...
Nanos are a little bit more challenging due to the fact that water parameters change more quickly and require immediate attention. I also am in the process of building a 30 Gal. I'm using a marineland Penguin 200b powerfilter and (2) Koralia #2 powerheads. I'm planning on strong bio-filtration as well. Lighting is another discussion. Lighting depends on what you plan on keeping. Don't skimp. Patience is the key and research pays off. I feel a noob can do a nano if they put their mind to it.

Good luck!!

pezenfuego

Nanos are just as easy as larger tanks, you just have to stay on top of things and it helps if you go slower with them. Before buying anything, make sure you have done a lot of research and are confident that you know exactly what you are doing. Emperor 400s are pretty good filters but before just going with them, you might want to research sumps and refugiums. As for powerheads, I recommend koralias, I like them. My two cents (some will disagree) is to stay away from crushed coral and get some argonite...it makes things easier ime. I guess hydor heaters are good, I never really paid much attention to that. Also research protein skimmers and lighting. You will want to only buy a skimmer and a light once so make sure you buy good ones and usually you get what you pay for. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. Up at the top is a search bar if you want to find answers yourself when nobody is on to help you. Welcome to the boards, get comfy, the fun starts now.

dunga

thanks every one for the help . when you meen aragonite you mean live sand if im correct

xlr8

You are welcome. Aragonite is what the sand is made out of. It can be "live" or it can be "dry". Dry basically meaning not live. It usually is a little cheaper dry. You can "seed" dry sand with a cup or two of live sand from a friend or LFS. Another type of sand is crushed coral. It has other properies to it as does the other types. Do a search and research the differnt types to decide which best suits your needs and wants. I prefer the "oolitic" aragonite because I like the way it looks and I want a shallower bed. Oolitic means it is almost sugar sized sand. There are other sizes available as well. Look around and research. Others, I'm sure can tell you more base on their experiance with different sand or "substrate". I'm just a noob!