How I handle new arrivals.

wattsupdoc

A couple years ago I had a bad outbreak of ich. I lost everything in my 135.
Since then I kicked around some different methods of treating for ick before adding any new arrivals. This is what I am currently doing now and has worked for me for some time now. It seems as though it is more complicated and maybe a little more involved. But in reality it is not very difficult at all. Actually pretty simple in fact. It gets the fish into the DT sooner and has SO FAR proven very effective for me.
I use a combination of hypo and the transfer method for treating for ick. With a FW dip as a kicker.

I have 2 ten gallons in the bench of my 135. I keep a good sponge in my fuge, letting it get good and mucky.
When the fish arrives I acclimate it to the 135. Do a 10 gallon change on the 135 and add that water to the QT. Plop in the sponge and other necessary stuff. Then when the fish is ready, I do a FW dip in a 1/2 gallon pitcher with temp and PH matched FW and methylene blue. This helps calm the fish some during this. Then plop it into the QT. I'll let the fish remain for 1 day like that. Then I'll start going into hypo. This performs water changes for the next 2 days to help if my sponge isn't really kickin in...Once in hypo, down to 1.008 on my refractometer, I'll start dosing amquel for any ammonia I might have and start prepping the other 10. After 7 days in the QT at hypo. I fill the other 10 and match it's parameters exactly to the 10 the fish is in. Catch the fish, usually by hand, and drop it into the second 10. No need to acclimate, it's already the same. After a day in the second tank, I start bringing the fish out of hypo. I'll take around week doing this, using the amquel if need be. I do this doing water changes from the 135. About 2,1 gallon changes a day until the tank is matched with the DT. After the tanks are matched, I plop in the new fish to the DT.
I have done this now for about a year and a half and not had a single outbreak. My powder brown just made it into the DT about a week ago. Looks beautiful.
My logic behind this is the transfer method works as does hypo. Only the transfer method doesn't actually kill anything. It' just times when the parasite is not on the fish. And relocates the fish so as to not be exposed to it again. Likewise, hyo kills the parsite usually, but never seperates the fish from it. This makes me nervous. Usually you would be required to do 4 transfers every 4 days apart. Drying one tank after it has been used. Now whenever you receive a fish, either from a LFS or the Internet, you are doing a transfer. AS long as the fish is not exposed to the parasite when added to the QT, the only possible parasite can be what is already on the fish. So you wait a day and start going into hypo. It is important that you be in hypo relatively quickly. This will insure that the cycle is broken if the parasite should reach the stage to re-infest the fish. Then exactly 7 days after hypo has been reached we transfer the fish, this ensures now that no parasites remain on the fish and no parasites can reinfect the fish. It is IMO at this point a safe fish. We have done a dip to knock off at least some of the parasite, a transfer, then a week in hypo, then another transfer. Total of around 17 days. Now it is important to note that raising the SG back up is very important to do very slowly. If the fish hasn't begun eating during this flip flip of hypo fun, then a longer stay in the QT may be a good idea. I cant say that this provides an absolute guaranteed cure for ich. But neither does hypo alone, though a properly done hypo usually does. I do feel very comfortable doing it though as it combines both methods that are both proven to treat it effectively.
This is just what I do and what has been working for me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The transfer method does work, but in my mind, it just seems like a lot more effort, and stress to fish. Why is it a problem to keep fish in hypo for 3 weeks, using an accurate salinity reader, and then finally move the fish to display? Making fish jump from tank to tank is risky, especially if you are dry-netting. The purpose of QT is not just to address ich, but to allow the new fish some quality down time, in an environment with min. stress, to gain good healthy and immunity. Fish need this down time before they go into a community environment where they will need to compete for food, space, and even for their life.
Hopping from tank to tank defeats that part of the QT process.

al mc

I just hypo all fish (except mandarins). The hypo environment is suppose to be actually reasonably well tolerated by the fish as the hypo salinity level and the internal salinity level of the fish are closer than 'regular' salinity level.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3026872
I just hypo all fish (except mandarins). The hypo environment is suppose to be actually reasonably well tolerated by the fish as the hypo salinity level and the internal salinity level of the fish are closer than 'regular' salinity level.
I have performed hypo on just a few fish before I noticed anything. They came from a store where I saw ich on other fish in tanks that were plumbed with the tank that my fish came from. Other than those I just normally watch them for a month or so in QT.

wattsupdoc

The problem with just watching them is then the fish has to stay another 4 weeks in the QT if it has ich. Being cramped in the QT is more stressing than the DT. Once the fish is eating well, it is ready to go to the DT.m For me it usually hasn't taken very long to get them eating. If there's going to be stress going into the DT, there's going to be stress.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3026872

Yes, hypo is mostly easy on the fish, but some fish dont so as well as others. I had a hippo that began developing spots during the hypo. I ended it short. I was informed that this is not uncommon for tangs and they usually survive. But longer stays in hyposaline conditions can be dangerous for some delicate fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not convinced that the hypo in and of itself caused whatever spots you saw develop. One incident does not warrant a generalized perception that some fish are sensitive to hypo. You had an incident, that made you uncomfortable, and you chose not to proceed with the treatment. That doesn't mean that what you feel about this incident is generally true. I have not experienced problems with tangs and hypo, and many others as well have had no problems.
3 weeks in hypo, using a refractometer or a lap-grade hydrometer, is perfectly safe for fish.

wattsupdoc

After messaging with Bob Fenner I concluded this was the cause. There are several reports over on his site of it with tangs. Possibly due to the functioning of the liver under hypo saline conditions I believe it was. I dont remeber exactly. I'm not saying that three weeks in hyopo is not safe, but it is pushing the limit for some fish.

salt210

I know QT should be the only method of introducing fish, but what if that is not an option? to stop the fish from introducing parasites to the tank, could one treat the fish in a seperate container before placing into the DT? I know this doesnt help with getting the fish to eat in the new environment tho

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3028048
I know QT should be the only method of introducing fish, but what if that is not an option? to stop the fish from introducing parasites to the tank, could one treat the fish in a separate container before placing into the DT? I know this doesn't help with getting the fish to eat in the new environment tho
It has to be an option. QT's don't have to take up much space. What should be a fun experience, getting a new fish, can quickly turn into a nightmare if QT is not used. This to me, warrants clearing out some small corner for a QT. Setting up a QT should be a factor when planning out where and how to set your entire system.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/3028008
After messaging with Bob Fenner I concluded this was the cause. There are several reports over on his site of it with tangs. Possibly due to the functioning of the liver under hypo saline conditions I believe it was. I dont remeber exactly. I'm not saying that three weeks in hyopo is not safe, but it is pushing the limit for some fish.
All of that is simply guessing. Show me the facts to back it up. The tests, the autopsies, the studies--any of those over posted at WWM? lol No.
Hypo, like any treatment, has to be done with care. Overall, it is a much safer treatment for ich then copper. And, speaking of copper, tangs particularly are prone to be sensitive to copper. It is, at least anecdotally, a a factor in HLLE.

salt210

I got rid of the remote fuge that I had and now it is sitting empty. would a 10g work as a QT for smaller introductions, only one at a time of course?
there is no way that I can have a complete setup for a QT right now

salt210

[QUOTEHypo, like any treatment, has to be done with care. Overall, it is a much safer treatment for ich then copper. And, speaking of copper, tangs particularly are prone to be sensitive to copper. It is, at least anecdotally, a a factor in HLLE.
and of course the next fish I am looking at is a tang

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3029984
I got rid of the remote fuge that I had and now it is sitting empty. would a 10g work as a QT for smaller introductions, only one at a time of course?
there is no way that I can have a complete setup for a QT right now
Yes a 10 gallon will be fine.

salt210

the purpose of a QT is to watch the newcomer for signs of ich or any other sickness?
it is also to get the fish used to eating in its new environment?
is it possible the fish to not show signs while in the QT but then start to develope them after introduction to the DT?