How important is the protein skimmer

hiddenicon

what does everyone think of the SeaClone 100? i might get one of those and i wanted to know how they do. There 150$ though so i'll have to save up:D

wocka

i just got a seaclone 150 and i like it too. only making white foam right now but its a lil loud and puts a lot of tiny bubbles in the tank

kl8n

I just bought a sea clone 150 on ---- for 50 bucks + 15 for shipping. Don't pay $150.00! Even PetSmart sells them for under $100.00 on their web site.

bherren

I've been looking at them also and having a hard time picking one. I'm between AquaC Remora Pro, Red Sea Berlin, Aqua Medic Turboflotor T1000.

zephyrlily

Is it true that it would be pointless to start a skimmer on a tank thats newly cycled, better to wait when it's been established for a while?
Also, would it still serve its purpose if it was used on & off, say a couple times a week or every other day, or does it have to run 24/7?

benj2112

Originally posted by zephyrlily
Is it true that it would be pointless to start a skimmer on a tank thats newly cycled, better to wait when it's been established for a while?
Also, would it still serve its purpose if it was used on & off, say a couple times a week or every other day, or does it have to run 24/7?

~I have always heard that it is fine to start it right away. Skimmers also act as a device to oxygenate the water. Plus, soon as there is anything in the water to skim out it will.
~It doesn't have to run 24/7...depends on your bioload I would guess, but I think most people run them most of the time. Some people turn them off when they feed or add additives so that stuff doesn't get skimmed right away.

fshhub

i personally would wait til the cycle is complete. but it is just fine to run them from the beginning as well. but NOT wait for a year or whatever.
hth

rasnme

My vote goes for the Aqua C Remora..... I bought a cheap skimmer when I first started out with my tank couldn't take it any more, it was so LOUD looked at all the skimmers and found that the Remora was the best for me :joy: it's great !!!:D

jsb

That's all I'm basically running now with the exception of LR, and a Sand bed. I had an emporer and the skimmer, but I took out the bio wheel and the carbons. So far so good. Once I got rid of the nitrate factories the algea started dieing off. I also have the maxijet 1200 on mine, and It's not too loud for me and it's in my bed room. I compare it to those portable air filters people run in their house. Go with the Aqua C.

belothsurf

Originally posted by DjBabylove
I have a SKILTER and it work great and was easy to put together. Quiet too.

eeeeeeewwww........I hate to bust your bubble, but the skilter is not very good. That was my first one, and I use it now just to provide water circulation in my refugium. It doesn't come close to pulling out junk that the remora pulls out. Sorry.....:happyfish

djbabylove

Originally posted by belothsurf
eeeeeeewwww........I hate to bust your bubble, but the skilter is not very good. That was my first one, and I use it now just to provide water circulation in my refugium. It doesn't come close to pulling out junk that the remora pulls out. Sorry.....:happyfish

Hey no problem ... but it is working great with my tank. Sorry it didn't work with yours. No bubbles burst here.

zooper

I got tired of every couple weeks having to clean my seaclone, after cleaning worked real nice for a couple days then just kind of dyes off till nothing...got a aquac remora pro, its awsome. You can just sit and watch foam form.
So the seaclone worked and I used it for like a year and a half, but didn't work like this.

johnic

Originally posted by bherren
I've been looking at them also and having a hard time picking one. I'm between AquaC Remora Pro, Red Sea Berlin, Aqua Medic Turboflotor T1000.

Go with the Aqua C..I got the Aqua C 180 and works great

kl8n

Originally posted by Zooper
I got tired of every couple weeks having to clean my seaclone, after cleaning worked real nice for a couple days then just kind of dyes off till nothing...got a aquac remora pro, its awsome. You can just sit and watch foam form.
So the seaclone worked and I used it for like a year and a half, but didn't work like this.

When you say "I got tired of every couple weeks having to clean my seaclone"...are you refering to the collection cup? Because that I don't mind. If you are suggesting that I am going to have to take the entire unit apart and scrub the inside, this I don't like.
Already bought my sea clone 150 so maybe this is a moot point, but I would still like to know.
Thanks,
KL8N

wocka

seaclones suck... they barely create any foam.. its load, put alot of bubbles in tank that stick to glass, and my powerhead kept getting undun with the tube.

rossim

I just set up my AquaC Urchin and can tell that I'm going to love it! The seaclone was so loud and didn't work at all in my sump. I was pulling stuff out when I had it HOB, but the noise it made in the sump was unbearable. I JUST pluged in the Urchin and while its still breaking in, I can tell that I'm going to love it! Its quiet to!