How is this for a light?

hobrien

How is this for a light when I get a 14k MH bulb for it? Also what wattage of a bulb for it as it can handle up to 500 watts?

hobrien

It was an outside porch lamp that I had bought but didnt use and I can switch out the bulb for a MH?

reefforbrains

To switch bulbs you need to provide a ballast that fits the bulb you want to run.
Really a poor choice for tank lighting untless you re-invent the wheel using its guts as part of a retro kit.

traps

What's the problem with using a fixture like that? Bulb's only care if they have correct voltage and wattage don't they? (I'm asking cause I really don't know)

M

markeo99

there is no problem with using the fixture you just have to get a MH ballast
cause a halogen ballast wont run a mh bulb nor will a hps but I have seen some of these lights that are actually mh it should say on the fixture somewhere

M

markeo99

and the only downside to the fixture itself is no fan I believe the heat may shorten bulb life but I dunno for sure

scrombus2

That is a halogen fixture. You'd need the correct ballast for your MH bulb, the correct socket for the MH bulb also, so it seems you're down to just a housing and reflector. Also, some halogen fixtures use a glass cover with a UV filter coating on the glass that may filter out certain light wavelengths.