how long b4 replacing MH bulbs?

killyah

so how long do MH bulb last? a year or more? (Iwasaki 6500k 400 watt) (Radium 20000k 400 watt)
i know vho's should be replaced at least every 6 months... but some keeps them longer.
also would 2 400 watt MH be good enuff lighting for a 125 gal tank? i wanna keep soft and hard corals, maybe clams..
i cant seem to make up my mind on lighting thats why im asking, im either going MH or vho's. not both, cost wise is the reason:rolleyes: what do you guys say?

killyah

thx guys. but also i would like to know would 2 400 watt MH be good enuff lighting for a 125 gal tank? i wanna keep soft and hard corals, maybe clams..

adrian

You shouldnt have a problem keeping most corals ruuning 2 400 MH. As you can see above the life of a MH bulb really depends on what bulb you use. HTH

wamp

I run mine for one year, or until I decide to try another bulb. VHO once a year.

jonthefb

On my 125 i have 2 175 watt MH and 1 400 watt MH, and two actinic vho's and i am growing hard and soft corals and clams like crazy. I think you will be fine. this thread reminds me that i need to change my bulbs. Its been about a year and time to dish out more moola. I just changed the two 65 watt PC's on my 20 gallon, and man what a difference. i dont know what kinda white bulb i was using beore but got a 10 K white and one blue actinic, and man the colors of my corals were totally recharged!. IT looks like a totally different tank.!
good luck all!
jon