How long before Ich is visable

o2ngk

It depends on your tank temp .. the hotter will speed up the cycle .. but no exact time .. you see it when you see ick on your fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by BrettD
As the topic says: How long before Ich is visable once the host is infected?
Thanks.
Why do you ask Brett? Please explain your situation.

brettd

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Why do you ask Brett? Please explain your situation.
I had an Ich problem in my 180-gallon tank. I decided to remove all the inverts and live rock and hypo the tank. I had the tank in hypo for 8 weeks. When I was bringing it out of hypo, I noticed a spot on my purple tang - didn't know if it was Ich or not, but was not willing to take a chance. I set up my old 50 gallon tank (this is where the inverts were being kept) with water from my 180 and put all the fish in the 50. I then put them in hypo for another 2 weeks. Meanwhile, I raised the salinity in the 180 and put the inverts back without any of the live rock. The live rock went into a garbage can with a powerhead. I purchased about 200 lbs of uncured live rock (Tonga and deep water Tonga) from an on-line vendor - absolutely stunning rock I might add. It took about 10 days to cure. I put the rock in my tank and left it fishless for 2 more weeks monitoring all parameters and having the temp at 84 degrees. I purchased 4 fish (2 Hippo tangs, 1 Power Blue, 1 small Huma Trigger) at my LFS and put them directly in the 180. They were perfect when I put them in, but within 1.5 days I began to notice some spots starting on their pectoral fins. The next day, I saw that they were covered with Ich. I removed them, gave them a fresh water dip and put them in a 10-gallon tank. Now, before I put the original residents back in the 180, I was asking to make sure this Ich must have come from the LFS. I didnn't know if 1.5 days was long enough for Ich to attach and become visable. My 180 is still fishless at this point. I put Cupramine in the 10-gallon for the new fish at this time. Thank you for your input.

juice_1080

From what I understand fish always carry ick and its just a problem when they get stressed or another fish has a breakout. (although I could be wrong) The freshwater dip is probably the fastest easiest thing you can do to help it. Other than that just watch them closely.