How long can Chaeto live without lights?

bigb

We had a power surge that blew quite a few things including the bulbs for my fuge. This happened Sun. night and my time is limited and I couldn't find the bulb at Lowes. I have a class tonight so I won't be able to check HD or specialty lighting store til tomorrow afternoon. That makes 4 days without light, if I can find the bulbs tomorrow and if the fixtures aren't blown.

snailheave

i put some in the back of a built-in tank. the purpose was to give it more flow while it could receive some indirect light from the MH. however the macroalgaes sunk to the bottom and now lives in the darkness. as far as i can tell it's alive and well, just not growing.

bigb

Since my chaeto is in the ecosystem and under the tank it is not getting any indirect lighting either.
Hey snailheave, have you ever tried to find replacement bulbs for the ecosystem? I know yours is still new but just wondering?

infalable

I had some in a container getting strained for unwanted pests. I was called away for two weeks (military duty) unexpectedly. After the two weeks mine was a bit on the light green side but it recovered nicely in just a week. It was just sitting in a bucket of tank water.

T

thomas712

I took a bag of it into my lfs and a month later he still had it in a bag on a shelf and it still looked green, not sure what happend after that. I'm sure it got at least the lighting from the room but it wasnt in much water at all.
Thomas

bigb

Thank you, Hopefully I can get new bulbs today.
-Snailheave I'll let you know if/where I find them.