how long can saltwater fish survive in freshwater?

mr.clownfish

i wanna know because i wanna dip them in freshwater so the parasites that are making them rub (scratch) there bodies on the rock.
i know the PH and temp have to be the same.

alix2.0

might wanna post this in disease & treatment, theyll know. i think youre supposed to FW dip for like 1 or 2 minutes, but i really have no idea.

aquaknight

I hear recommendations for FW dips from 30seconds to 10 mins all the time. I tend to do at least 5 mins, and closely observe the fish in a clear container. You can definitely tell when the fish has had 'enough.' They will become inactive, and usually lay down. It's a bit harder to tell with angels, because they typically turn broadside to anything, including the bottom of the container.
However, a FW dip is only a temporary relief for parasites, Ich or Marine Velvet, to provide easier respiration for the fish. The parasites are deeply embedded in the fish's body, but the gill area is much shallower, and the parasites there have little chance to surivive. To fully cure a fish, you must take either one of the two treatment options, hypo or copper.

lion_crazz

A freshwater dip should be done no longer than 10 minutes. However, I would avoid freshwater dips, anyway, and just treat properly with hyposalinity.
On an related note, I remember the pictures posted here a few years ago of a tank full of SALTWATER african cichlids. It was so odd seeing tangs and cichlids in the same tank.

bpro32

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2757297
A freshwater dip should be done no longer than 10 minutes. However, I would avoid freshwater dips, anyway, and just treat properly with hyposalinity.
On an related note, I remember the pictures posted here a few years ago of a tank full of SALTWATER african cichlids. It was so odd seeing tangs and cichlids in the same tank.
I went to a lfs today in miami and i saw silver tip sharks (brackish catfish) in a full on saltwater tank with foxface rabbits and yellow tangs... I knew they liked a little bit of salt but never knew they could be converted to full saltwater

hlcroghan

Yep they can. I have a Columbian shark. I was told they actually do much better in saltwater, live longer, are healthier, etc......They are cool active fish.

mr.clownfish

wow that is soo cool!!

mr.clownfish

i would do hypo but i dont have an extra tank for my inverts. and ive never seen it be done B4 so i dont wanna risk it and do something wrong and kill my clowns. my clowns have recently been "scratching" there bodies against the rocks pretty brutally lately and ive herd that parasites cant survive a sudden change in salinity and die off in about a few mins.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2757193
might wanna post this in disease & treatment, theyll know. i think youre supposed to FW dip for like 1 or 2 minutes, but i really have no idea.
i just wanna say that ur avatar is awesome

oceansidefish

I would then use some water from your tank place in a bucket and do the hypo in there. You can do it when you do a waterchange. You can also do a medication dip this way. Just make sure to not get any of the water you do this with back in your tank.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/2757544
i would do hypo but i dont have an extra tank for my inverts. and ive never seen it be done B4 so i dont wanna risk it and do something wrong and kill my clowns. my clowns have recently been "scratching" there bodies against the rocks pretty brutally lately and ive herd that parasites cant survive a sudden change in salinity and die off in about a few mins.
I think you may have a much bigger problem than you realize, although I hope not. A FW dip will remove some parasites, but that's only the tip of the iceburg when treating a parasite infestation. Here's a long thread; but if you'll read it and get a good understanding of parasite life cycles (must info for any hobbiest, IMO), then the treatment options will make sense. There is a good chance your fish have Brooklynella (clownfish disease) .

stanlalee

the freshwater dip is more relief for the fish than actual treatment. It gets many of the visably attached parasites off or dead but not enough to cure. I dont know how long I've get fish in for a FW but I've done it and you can definately tell when enough is enough. I always touch them with the net handle frequently just to make sure they're alert.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2757796
I think you may have a much bigger problem than you realize, although I hope not. A FW dip will remove some parasites, but that's only the tip of the iceburg when treating a parasite infestation. Here's a long thread; but if you'll read it and get a good understanding of parasite life cycles (must info for any hobbiest, IMO), then the treatment options will make sense. There is a good chance your fish have Brooklynella (clownfish disease) .
he dosent have that.

i know a little about diseases