how long can water sit?

cgrant

I mix my water for water changes in a 35 gallon brute trash can and was wondering how long the water can sit in it before t needs to be dumped out?
I mixed my water for a water change like 1.5 weeks ago and i just havnt had a chance to do the water change...so is this water still ok to use?
Thanks!
Chris

I don't know the answer but I do know that when I do a water change I make the water for next week right after. Sometimes I won't find the time to do it so it'll sit there for a couple weeks before getting used. I can't see any problem with it, mind you, I only do 5g at a time.

earlybird

Do you let it sit or do you leave a ph going? I wouldn't think there would be a problem but then again idk?

renogaw

supposed to keep water movement going to prevent stagnation and the ph from plummeting. I keep my leftover water in the tote, and haven't had a problem until recently i had some sediment all over the tote.

mavis1032

RO water is ok top sit almost indefinatley as long as it is in a tightly covered container. Already mixed saltwater needs to have a powerhead circulating the water to keep it mixed and for proper gas exchange.