How long do Diatoms last?

cdavishb

I've had my 33 gal Fish only tank up for 2 months. Cycled after 5 weeks w/ dead shrimp. After adding 2 damsels it cycled again. Amonia is now 0 but Nitrites and Nitrates are high.
About 1 week ago all the CC and artificial corals started turning brown. From reading this board it seems like its diatoms. Temp is 80. Will a cleanup crew help?? if so what is best to add?

jerth6932

Originally Posted by cdavishb
I've had my 33 gal Fish only tank up for 2 months. Cycled after 5 weeks w/ dead shrimp. After adding 2 damsels it cycled again. Amonia is now 0 but Nitrites and Nitrates are high.
About 1 week ago all the CC and artificial corals started turning brown. From reading this board it seems like its diatoms. Temp is 80. Will a cleanup crew help?? if so what is best to add?
What kind of water are you using? (RO/Tap/Distilled?) Yeah you have diatoms... How long was your tank cycled for prior to putting in the fish? Don't add a clean up crew till you get the Nitrites and the nitrates under control!!!

cdavishb

I'm using R/O water. My tank cycled after 4 weeks. That's when I added 2 damsels. After 2 weeks it went through another cycle. Amonia is now 0.

fedukeford

wait till the traits and trites are both at 0, then id add 10 turbo snails, 5 nassirous (spelling?) snails, and 2 hermits to help get the diatoms under control
sorry i meant 0

cain420

Originally Posted by fedukeford
wait till the traits and trites are both at 8, then id add 10 turbo snails, 5 nassirous (spelling?) snails, and 2 hermits to help get the diatoms under control
i think somehow that is a typo and fedukeford meant 0