How long do i wait to put in the fish

hiddenicon

so is my next step to go out and buy a cocktail shrimp, and if i leave the light on more during the day and night will that help the algea start growing, and so am i just waiting for the algea to grow now

standish

Yes, with the shrimp. I also recommend you purchase your test kits and consider this book:
"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. It will give a good basic foundation for you.
And keep reading this message board while you are waiting through your cycle and maybe start planning a stocking list. :)

T

tizzo

You cannot see this cycle. It is in no way related to algea...

hiddenicon

so is my next step to go out and buy a cocktail shrimp, and then when if rots, should i take it out and do a water change, then start adding fish

T

tizzo

Earlier you mentioned that you have 2 filters and the fish store said that's enough... Do you by any chance have a protien skimmer??

T

tizzo

Originally posted by Hiddenicon
so is my next step to go out and buy a cocktail shrimp, and then when if rots, should i take it out and do a water change, then start adding fish

No, not when it rots.. The test kits are crucial here. When it rots you will have ammonia, but you will need kits to figure out when the nitrites/trates start and stop.

T

tizzo

no do i have to have one?(protein skimmer)

Since you are not a VERY VERY experienced hobbiest, I would definately get one if I were you. You don't need it until your cycle is over though. When I say Experienced hobbiest, I say this because some people can go with-out one, but they really balance they're water chemistry.

standish

Patience and research are the two things you need most to be successful in this hobby.
Don't learn this the hard way.

T

tizzo

but i do need to leave it in there until it rots right, and is a protein skimmer necassary?

Yes, you need to leave it there.

T

tizzo

By water chemistry, I mean yes Ph, Salinity, tempature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, calcium, and dkh...
Hey, you asked!

T

tizzo

If you have water, you already have water chemistry. It is what makes up your water. Right now the only Chemistry you need to worry about is your ammonia level. When you get an ammonia reading (from adding the shrimp) then we'll talk about the next factor. I gotta go make dinner now!!

T

tizzo

is the water change necassary, after the shrimp thing

Do NOT change your water for at least 6 weeks!! And when you do a water change, it will be in small percentages, like 10% every 2 weeks, or 20% every month. But you don't have to worry about any of that now, you have 6 weeks to research.

T

tizzo

The live rock (if you bought it near-by) is probably already "cured" in which case it will have nitrates. If it was not cured then yes it will start your cycle with its die off. But without test kits it is impossible to tell, unless the rock stunk really bad before you added it, which I will assume that it didn't. Just to be safe... add the shrimp, buy a test kit for ammonia, and plan on waiting 6 weeks.