How long do we have ? ? ?

el guapo

This is the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. The sad thing about it, you can see it coming.
I have always heard about this democracy countdown. It is interesting to see it in print. God help us, not that we deserve it.
How Long Do We Have?
About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh , had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:
'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.'
'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.'
'>From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'
'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years'
'During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:
1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage'
Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:
Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.
If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal's and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

U

usirchchris

If we can get passed these next four years...and realize we can't just keep throwing money at our problems...we should be good. If he gets a full 8 year term...I think within 8 years we will be near collapse. JMHO
Saw an article yesterday he is already admitting he will have to take back some of his campaign promises lol...whole lotta wool got thrown out there.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2908423
Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:
Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.
I'm glad someone else noticed this. Florida is the perfect example. O only won in the cites. EVERYWHERE else was light up red, but O got enough to grab the state...

snakeblitz33

IBTL,
I just wanted to say that I didn't vote for the president elect. Mr. Obama will never be my president. I've lost faith in this country and I am having thoughts of making money here and moving somewhere that is better off then we will be.
I just don't understand how things could get this sh!tty. I'm moving to Alaska. Gona get that job listed on here. I think I can be pretty quick on my feet!

snakeblitz33

I just hate that it all has to come to this. I mean, I'm a hard working American citizen, I pay my taxes, I do what is right for everyone. I don't get any benefits, no hand outs, I've always had to work to earn a living and now those who don't do anything and get welfare checks are the people who get to decide who the next president will be. GRR!!!!!

erock412

I gotta tell ya, i know all too well that talking politics or religion is a sure fire way to make somebody angry. HOWEVER, i do feel sorry for all those that think Obama isn't the right man for the job. the fact of the matter is: he IS our president elect, and i would hope all the right wingers on this forum (and there's a lot to my knowledge) would want him to do a good job, which as far as i'm concerned he will. he'll sure do a much better job than the international terrorist we have as an excuse for a president now. i voted for obama. definately not for his race, however, the fact that we can have a man that so much as has a drop of african in his blood is a testament to how far we've come as a country. as far as professor olson is concerned: i am a 25 year old man, i have 2 college degrees, work as a drug/ alc counselor, and am working towards my RN. i am certified in the state of Pa to sell real estate and stock. i might live in a county will a higher murder rate, but that doesnt mean that my vote was made in ignorance.

darthtang aw

You have got to be kiddin me, right?
How is he any different. He is already talking about gearing up more in afghanistan. He has us staying in Iraq. He feels the Bush tax cuts may need to stay in place till 2010 (which baffles me, because if they should stay in place now why take them away ever). He is going to give more tax relief. He is talking about huge amounts of spending. He is talking about increasing our budget deficit.....Gee......I don't see much difference except his age and his skin color.
And please explain how our current President is an international terrorist...I gotta here this left wing explanation. While you are at it explain how Obama's proposals so far he has made recently are any different than what the current president is doing.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2908816
he'll sure do a much better job than the international terrorist we have as an excuse for a president now.

He has no experience...none...community organizer (whatever that is) and barely a junior senator...nothing he has done will have prepared him for this position. I am just glad he pooled some of the old Clinton staffers, so I have some kind of idea what to expect, but no, it won't be the same old politics no not at all

I sincerely hope he does well....I live here for crying out loud. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

camfish

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2908895

He has no experience...none...community organizer (whatever that is) and barely a junior senator...nothing he has done will have prepared him for this position. I am just glad he pooled some of the old Clinton staffers, so I have some kind of idea what to expect, but it won't be the same old politics

I sincerely hope he does well....I live here for crying out loud. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.
I too have my doubts...but what if?

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by camfish
http:///forum/post/2908903
I too have my doubts...but what if?
What if??
America is currently a stage and the politicians are providing the comedy. What a joke...

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2909046
I want a refund then. Because these jack(insert words of choice)es are not funny.
agreed...I certainly did not vote for the current stock...they suck

sickboy

Economic troubles don't happen overnight. Look who's been in charge, they've done wonderful!!!! Thanks Republicans!

sickboy

Oh, and before someone tries to blame a democratic congress.....I have two words:
VETO POWER!
And I completely dislike our current pres, but he is MY/OUR president, and given the order I would lay my life down for this great country! To say that the next president is not your president and you want to leave the country is, IMO, THE most unpatriotic and un-American thing that can possibly be said, and those of us that love this country regardless of who is in charge would be better off if those people left b/c they aren't truly Americans anyway...

mboswell1982

i do NOT in any way shape or form support our government, well, i pay taxes, but its not voluntary to say the least, i love our flag, but, i hate our government and have for many many years.
and, i can promise anyone of you this, when the time comes, i will be in the front lines helping to overthrow our "great" government.
and thats my thoughts on the matter, flame all you like, thank you very much
mike

mboswell1982

and sickboy, i did NOT vote for that jack(insert your choice of words here), so therefore, he is NOT and will NEVER be my president, no matter how many terms in office he gets, he will NEVER be my president, nor will he be my commander in chief

sickboy

I won't flame at all, b/c this IS America, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just have a ? or two.
So, if you are an American, how would he NOT be your commander-in-chief?
If by overthrowing the gov't, you mean you're an anarchist? I mean technically you are entitled to this belief, but how does it make you an American (other than of course, you may have been born here).
Also, tax rate discussions aside, how do you propose we go about providing the security we all enjoy without supporting a central gov't?
And lastly, as implied in the first sentence of this post, how are you an American if you only recognize people of your belief structure as leader? Isn't the very essence of America diversity and majority rule?