How long do you run carbon?

mantisman51

I read a really great piece by Bob Fenner. He said that he suspects that a lack of minerals and elements are the biggest culprit-iodine specifically. I have always used carbon unless treating the water for something. From reading several of the writers at Mr Fenners website, I can now understand how the carbon would deplete the minerals and trace elements from the water column, as that is what carbon is for. Carbon "soaks up" the bad elements like heavy metals and chemicals that are bad for fish and in the same way, in theory, remove the good minerals and trace elements, as well. I have run my 125g reef with and w/o carbon and when using carbon, the water is clearer and and the fish look brighter. I do, however, change the water (10-20%) every two weeks and I add Kent Marine Essential Elements every week. Poor nutrition is the most mentioned cause of HLLE. I noticed the vast majority of the people who mentioned it (at Fenners site) were feeding, primarily, brine shrimp. So, it does appear to be a lack of nutrients and elements more than too much of something. I've never had HLLE, even with my carbon use, but from everything I read, a varied-high quality diet and water changes should keep it at bay.

unleashed

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3037468
They key word....POTENTIAL...That does not mean it causes HLLE...
So as I said before....in one person's tank it may work running it 24/7 in another's it may not...In my tank since I did get the HLLE...I chose to remove the carbon...I no longer have HLLE...I do not know, and can not say that the removal of the carbon cured the HLLE...I also added a grounding probe, and started adding vitamins and such to the feeding.
this is your biggest key
adding vitamins and such to the feeding
you boosted nutrition
as above posted noted most hobbiest that have complained about their fish getting HLLE ..also fed brine as part of the main diet. tangs and angels tend to see it in the most but these are the species that are widely fed improper diets