How long do you store SW before using it?

eric b 125

I usually mix a fresh 30 gallons the day of, or the day after, a water change. That way I always have at least 30 gallons of mixed SW in case an emergency WC is needed. I typically have around 30 gallons of FW as well, that I use to top off my ATO reservoir that I can mix into SW.
That being said, my WC water usually mixes for two weeks before I use it.

reefkeeperZ

I don't see how it could be, as long as no contaminants are getting in to pollute it (I keep a loose lid on my already mixed water to keep dust etc out but still alow air exchange), marine water is fairly stable without outside influences.

reefkeeperZ

yeah, I leave it circulating so it is oxygenated if I need to use it in a hurry. oxygen levels drop fairly quickly in stagnant water.

reefkeeperZ

Oh I also keep it up to temp as well, I just double check the S.G. before use because the longer you store it the more evaporation you get and after long periods it tends to need some fresh water added to replace evaporated water.

jay0705

Hmm. I'am at wrk now. I bet if u google mixing sw it should tell u. Its also best to use cold water

seecrabrun

Weird. I can't get it to dissolve if it is cold.

I do 2 gallons at a time currently and I mix it heavily and agitate the surface a lot. I use this very large spoon meant for removing pasta out of the pot. Basically a colander on a handle, not your standard slotted spoon.
I mix it clockwise really well until I get a bit of a tornado and then suddenly run the spoon counter clockwise against the surface.

My water is mixed and clear within 3-5 minutes.

Then I drain the water from the tank and put this water in. That's how I've done it for the past year.

jay0705

Bc its such a small amount there are no ill effects. Larger would prob have a different effect. It does take longer cold. But dissolves trace elements better

pegasus

Explain more? Any articles?
There are lots of articles on O2/CO2 equilibrium, but I'm on lunch break so I don't have time to look them up for you. Proper aeration is very important if you use fresh RO/DI water, as the DI resin removes all the carbon dioxide from the water. This raises the pH level of the water, and as the carbon dioxide and oxygen level stabilizes, the pH drops. If you add fresh RO/DI saltmix to your tank in enough quantity, you can have a pH spike. Sudden changes in pH are, as we all know, not in the list of good things to have happen. Another advantage to an overnight mixing is to ensure a thorough mix. Since it's always better to mix in cold water (reduces precipitation of elements), it also allows the water to be slowly heated to the proper tank temperature, as sudden changes in tank temperature are also not in the list of good things to have happen...

seecrabrun

I just got a 10g brute to mix my salt in and planned on probably keeping some ready to use. So I guess by accident I'll be mixing it for 24 hours from now on LOL

seecrabrun

My RODI is stored, so it isn't fresh. Usually it's a week old by the time I use it as I turn it back on to refill after I've done that week's water change.