How long has a BTA bubble tip anemone lived in captivity in your tank?

aussie11

Hi to all
I have learnt a lot reading this thread and consider myself lucky.
I ended up getting my octagonal tank because a tropical fish retailer owed me money, & the only way I was going to get it was in exchange for stock. So I picked this octagonal tank which is 42cm front to back-side to side & 48 cm tall. I think it holds around 70-80 litres which is 17 gallons. I had no idea on how to keep any fish, tropical or marine, but being naive I decided I was going to have a marine tank because of the pretty colours. I often wondered why people went for tropical over marine..but as everyone keeps telling me now-after I went marine-that it is much more maintenance intensive.
I went to lfs & he said 1st thing I had to do was get some live rock & condition the tank for 4 weeks-which I did.
I got some grey 25mm pvc tube just shorter than the tank was high, & drilled around 30 small holes up and down the tube all over, then siliconed it to the bottom of the tank-I then drilled the live rock so I could slide the rock over the tube & build myself a tall rock wall & attached the inlet for the air from the cannister to the pvc tube.
I took a sample of water to him after that time-he tested and said it was fine-& that I could now go shopping. I headed straight for the clownfish tank & picked out 2 nemos, what is called ocellaris-I went to the anemone tank & picked out the biggest one which looks exactly like TheGrog's anemone in post 7-she was about 5 to 6 inches across-I was also steered toward a cannister filter-which I have now been told was a poor choice. It was at least 3 months down the track before I was informed that I must take it a part & clean it- & at this stage I was doing water changes every 2 months. At this point I decided to buy a water test kit so I could at least test the water, & I now know that I must do 15% water change every 2 weeks or 30% every 4. I do around 25% every 3 weeks. I have had trouble with red slime-which I treated with some chemical the lfs gave me, a new lfs opened very close to my home, so now I had the convenience of popping in & asking questions, unlike to other that I had to travel to-he suggested a strom snail to keep the red slime under control which I have-& have never had a problem since.
My anemone & fish are all fine & they are now 18 months since I bought them, how old they were when I got them I do not know..My anemone has doubled in size since I got her.
I saw some video footage the other day that I took a couple of days after getting the animals & I was gobsmacked at how much she had grown...you don't notice it day by day..so it was quite a shock-& because the tank is small-when she is fully open she takes up half the tank across wise.
As I read this forum, I kinda think my piddly 24 watt fluoro light is not ideal-but still everything in the tank is going strong-it was at least 8 months before it came to my attention that I should have a power head in the tank-which I now have.
I feed my clowns marine flake & in total I have feed my anemone 3 times in 18 months.
I live on the Gold Coast Australia where it is stinking stinking hot in summer for around 5 months..for 3 of these months I threw frozen 2 litre milk bottles in the tank to try and cool it down-then I got a chiller-I had no idea when I stepped into this marine tank idea, that all of this was required, & if I did know, I definitely would not have gone marine.
I have added a torchlight coral, a starfish, half dozen snails to keep the glass clean-& there is a shrimp in there as well..he came courtesy of the live rock-& I catch a glimpse of him every now & again.
So after reading a lot of info here, I can say I have been flying by the seat of my pants really-totally ignorant about all things marine-but everything is still going strong.
I am apprehensive about changing things-for example feeding the anemone weekly or fortnightly-she has survived 18 months with practically no feeding from me-if I change now-will I upset the balance?
If I am lucky that my animals are still alive I would put it down to 2 things...I interact with them-I pat my clowns and my anemone,( it's a girl thing )-when I walk across the room my clowns hastily swim the tank trying to follow-I sit at my tank every morning with my coffee and talk to them-and I use water straight from the ocean-I live 3 minutes from the best beaches in the world so I take advantage.
There is one thing that I can't get to the bottom of...I have these little red 'weeds' growing throughout the tank..mainly in the white pebble..but a couple of them have attached to the back of the strom snails shell as well & some are on the rock wall..they are small...very thin at the base...then sort of fan out toward the top..a bit like an upside down teardrop...any ideas? I manage to remove a few when I vacuum the white pebble..but they are always there & by the time I vacuum again the numbers are back to normal...
Thanks for any suggestions
aussie

jam1e

that's awesome that you've had success with your anemone, but you know this thread is more than 4 years old right? lol

rod buehle

my oldest BTA is well over 9 years, but I have other (more difficult to keep) anemones that I have had for over 15 years
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/354071/a-few-of-my-anemones

btldreef

The people that kill them before the 6 month mark are usually people that are fairly new to the hobby and shouldn't own one in the first place.
A friend of mine has 4 in his 120 that are all over 10 years old.