how long in QT when purchased new

I bought a new Saddleback Clown fish and I have had him in my QT tank for 4 days now, when can I put him in my tank and be sure he doesn't have ich? i would be putting him in a 90 gallon tank with 2 clown fish and a damsel.

al mc

Nick,
Most people the cruise the 'disease' section would support a three week observation quarantine. During this time you can observe closely for parasites/infection/behavior changes and treat if something is detected.
Personally, I hypo all new fish in a QT.

I know it's supposed to be 3 week but does everyone do it? He has been QT'd for awhile, and I am picking up a pair of maroon clown's tomorrow and I want them in the QT but i fear they will attack the saddleback so i'd want to put him in the display.
He is healthy, eats, and swims around fine..........

nate213

I would hold to at least 3-weeks. I have 3 fish in QT for almost 3-weeks now and last night I found 2-3 spots of ich on one of them. So now I need to hypo for another month. I was about to put them in the display tank. No signs of ich until 20+ days.

sepulatian

Three weeks is the bare minimum. I always do four. Look at it this way, you can be patient and wait or you may have to catch ALL of your fish and treat them in the QT. It isn't worth the gamble.

dskrezyna

Are you putting the pair of maroons and the saddleback in the same 90G tank as the existing pair of clowns you have?

no, the pair of clowns will be staying in the QT tank. They seem VERY peaceful too. I had the pair, and the saddleback, plus a few other fish in the tank and had no problems. It's strange.

richl

my last purchase got sick after 3 weeks in QT. I always QT 4 weeks, so this one was 7 weeks in QT. Nothing is better than seeing a new fish in the DT, but unfortunately you have to be very patient, otherwise it's a crapshoot.