How long on for lights?

I have one of the pc 3 way lights. It is awsome! I spent close to $400 for it but have a question. I have all three cycles on timers and am wondering how long should I leave each one (daylight, actinic, moonlight) on. I imagine this has alot to do with what I have in the tank but equally I would think that there is a baseline that I should start at no? Any advice or input would help. Everything is doing ok but I have had problems in the past with algae growth.
This site has been very helpfull in my continuing education in this hobby and all of your advice is greatly appreciated and respected.....ideas?????

N

newbienz

I also have the PowerCompact / Moonlight from CustomSeaLife.
Here's how mine is setup.
24hr moonlight
6:00am - Actinics On
7:00am - 10k On
6:00pm - 10k Off
7:00pm - Actinics Off

N

newbienz

IMO I don't really think it does. I wouldn't recommend more than 14 hours of light though, but thats just me. Also if you end up with algae problems, lower the amount of hours the light is on.
Good luck!

N

newbienz

IME with algae, it didn't really matter what lights were on. After your tank has cycled it shouldn't be anything to worry about. A cleaning crew should do a good job of prunning and removing the algae.

Yeah, my turbos mowed that problem right down when I had that problem. Thanks for your input. That is not the cycle I am on now. My day lights are on from 10am to 2pm (insufficient I suppose) I'll crank it up and see if that helps or hurts. Thanks again....