how long should a tank take to cycle

camillo

how long do u think a tank should cycle for, i got a 24g tank with 9 kilos of lr and it has been 3 weeks. ive been monitoring my levels and everything has done exactly what its suppose to in terms of my levels spiking and now being at a safe level. im jus wondering if it is too soon to get a first fish or not.

murph

Mine have always cycled in about 17 days. If your levels are right you could certainly begin adding your cleanup crew. Here is the catch though. Parasite larva can come into your tank on LR and inverts so an additional six weeks from the last addition of any of these will guarantee a parasite free tank for your first fish additions. Parasites can not live without a fish host and there life cycle can go as long as six weeks. The adult phase of any parasites can not live on inverts so your are fine in this regard
This may be the logic behind florida's 8 to 12 week recommendation.
In the mean time I would highly recommend you setup a quarantine tank to begin your first fish(s) additions isolation period. This should go 21 days if no signs of trouble with the fish are evident.
There are many sources on the net to provide info on how to setup a QT tank. From my experience a sponge filter in a QT tank can be quickly matured with the use of fritzyme or other nitrifying bacteria additive.
The addition of this to the QT tank and a ghost feeding or two and the sponge filter should be mature enough after about 3 or 4 days to begin the quarantine process on one or two small fish. Keep in mind compatibility issues when QTing fish in small tanks.

dmjordan

i would start with a clean up crew before fish. as murph pointed out setting a qt tank is very important and beneficial. it makes for a safe place to treat, medicate a sick or injured fish. it is important to place new fish in a qt and wait the 3 - 4 week period to make sure the fish is healthy before introducing it into your main tank.

nca989

What do you mean by a clean up crew? shrimp, crabs... ? I thought those were supposed to go in after fish... *sigh* so many things to learn!

michaeltx

clean up crew consists of snails and crabs I wouldnt add shrimp till it gets established though.
The reason for the clean up crew right after cycle is done is that you go through a series of algae blooms from brown diatoms green and sometimes red algae as the tank gets a balanced water chemistry the clean up crew will help control some of this. Is still can look kinda ugly for a little while though.
as far as cycle each and every tank is different just do water checks and see where the tank is.
steps to a cycle.
1) ammonia builds up
2) a bacteria grows that eats the ammonia turning it to nitrites
3) a second bacteria grows that eats nittrite turning them into nitrates
4) after ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0 then its time for a water change and the cycle is complete.
5) as you add fish and livestock you change the balance of the tank so dont add to much at one time or it will start over at #1 and can cause serious problems with the fish
HTH
<Mike

poniegirl

Additional catch is that you will need to feed this cleanup crew, because as you might guess, with no fish there's not a lot to clean up. Feed them lightly, in an accessible area so that you can cleanup after them.
By the way, keep an eye on your LR, it can be quite entertaining while you wait to add fish!

murph

Look over on the left of your screen and click reef packages. These are reef safe/coral safe inverts "cleanup crew". An excellent value and you could probably go the next size package down from the size tank you have and add more later if you feel it is necessary.
Most every newly cycled tank experiences a diatom algae breakout. These guys will take care of it for you pretty quick. The "Big 20" package would be fine for your size tank and cheapest and consist of mostly algae eaters so feedings would not be much of a concern.
Remember to give inverts a nice long acclimation period. Once again look over to the left and click "acclimation".

nca989

Those reef packages are huge, wouldn't that immensly limit the amount of fish and others you add later?

murph

No. Typically the cleanup crew is not factored into the bio load for a tank. Just the fish.

michaeltx

yeah the clean up crew helps keep the tank cleaner and eat the fish waste and excess food stuff so they dont effect the bio-load as a fish would.
Mike

nca989

So then it's common to have 60+ cleanup critters to keep up with your fish/inverts? Is there a ratio, 3 cleanup per 1 fish/invert or something I can go by?
BTW, in case I haven't said so, you guys are soooo much help! I don't know what I would do without you!

michaeltx

no real equation to get a set number. you will be able to tell after the tnak is setup and going as to where your problem areas are and get critters for those areas.
example
if there is algae growing on the glass you might need to get some more turbos or other snail that will eat off the glass.
if its the sand bed you might want to look at conchs or a sand cuke to help clean that up.
each tank will be completely different.
and yes this site and others like it was a tremendous help when I first started with my saltwater habit so I know what ya mean
Mike

catawaba

Is it a 'standard' to measure fish from snout to base of caudal tail? If someone says their Heniocious is 3", does that mean from snout to base of tail or is that the 'height' of it's banner? THANKS :notsure: