How long should a UV buld last?

ozzfan84

I am new to UV sterilizers on my aquarium. I bought a turbo twist back in June or July to help control algae and other things in my tank. I just noticed today that the buld is not on (the little external light is not on). Is it time to change the bulb so soon? I am surprised because my pond UV sterilizer stays on all summer and then some without needing to be changed. Is it just that time?
Thanks!

scsinet

The lamp needs to be replaced every 6-8 months, but that's not because it's at that age it stops lighting up.
If your lamp stops lighting, the lamp is either loose or (abnormally) defective, or there is something wrong with the ballast.
Usually though the replacement comes when the lamp is still working, as they lose their effectiveness after 6-8 months of continuous operation.

ozzfan84

Thank you for that information!
I just looked at the bulb and it is burnt out (there is a little black towards the base of the bulb like there would be on a regular lightbulb).
Does this mean a faulty lamp o ra faulty bulb? I am going to order a new bulb now anyways and see how it does. I mean, the last one lasted 4 months, so maybe it was just faulty?
Otherwise, I guess this would be a warranty issue with the turbo twist itself. What do you guys think?

scsinet

It's likely a faulty lamp, though the blackening at the ends is not necessarily a sign of a failure.
My thought is to replace the lamp, and if that doesn't fix it, then put the old one back in there and claim warranty. Then you'll have a spare on hand when you get the unit fixed.
If you need to claim warranty, be advised that Coralife is owned by Energy Savers Unlimited, www dot esuweb dot com (I think).