How long should I dose with Prazi and Cupramine while QT dwarf angels and a Tusk ?

G

gtdarock

Hey everyone ! Hope all is well. So I have my 55 gal QT that has been running for almost a year. Right now I am QT 4 dwarf angels and a Harlequin Tusk. I dosed with with Prazi-Pro since Jan 16, so its like 10 days. I'm about to do a water change, and then dose with Cupramine. I was wondering how long should I keep it in there -? Maybe 20 days -? Anyhelp would be great, thank you

G

gtdarock

Hey Beth ! How are u -? Well I'm not really treating for anything, I was just dosing as a preventive . I'm pretty sure I'm ok with dosing with Prazi for 10 days. But I wanted to dose with Cupramine also, but for how long -? Or maybe i shouldn't ?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bad practice, except when using hyposalinity. Don't treat with meds unless necessary. Otherwise, you develop resistance to the parasite, bacteria, etc. Then, when you need it, it doesn't work.

peter1215

I have always treated all new angels with one dose of prazi while still in qt as they are notorious for coming in with flukes. Id rather do this than risk infecting my dt.

richl

Wholeheartedly agree that hyposalinity is a great preventive measure. I'm only in the hobby about 1 1/2 yearsand was ready to quit after 6 months because of frequent problems with ick. Started to hypo all new fish in QT and have had no disease in DT in 1 year. The process extends QT to 5-6 weeks, but it's definitely worth it.

aquaknight

Prazi-Pro is designed for a dose period of 5 days. After the first 5 days, redose. Generally speaking a "round" of Prazi is 10 days total, and 2 doses (the 1st and 6th day).
Hyposalinity is fine for Ich, however that is the only
thing it's effective for. With angels, flukes are pretty common and I wouldn't say a preventive round of Prazi-Pro is too far out of line. Especially if the end result will be a tank with multiple angels.
With a Harlequin Tusk, the chances of him not having Ich are pretty low. I don't think I've seen one at a retailer that didn't have spots.

G

gtdarock

Hey Beth, so if after 30 days and I don't see any signs of ick on the fishes, can they go into the display -? So for future reference, don't dose with anything unless I see something in the QT-? Hey Peter, I always believe in Prazi ! Hey RichL, I think its too late for me to start hypo in the QT. The fishes have been in the QT for 15 days. Aqua, longtime my friend, how u been -? So should I dose back the QT with Prazi -? When do you think they'll be good for the display -?