How Long Should I Wait?

f1shman

How long after my cycle is complete should I wait before I add my cleaner crew? Also would this be an adequate cleaner crew for a 40 gallon reef tank?
10Nassarius Snails
10Astraea Snails
10Cerith Snails or 3 Queen Conch
1Banded Coral Shrimp
20Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
12Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
3Peppermint Shrimps
2Emerald Mythrax Crabs
Its for only $89.99 with shipping. Recommended for tanks 30-50 gallons. If there were too many of some I could add them to my 12 gallon nano. What do you guys thing?

speg

In my opinion these cleaner crews these places try to sell you are insane.. there is no way you need THAT many critters to clean a 40 gallon tank.
I use RO water firstly, I have 4 nassarius, 3 bumble bees, 4 mexican turbos, 2 astrea, 3 peppermint shrimp, 5 blue legged, 2 scarlet hermits in my 46 gallon.. zero crabs other than the hermits... my tank is SPOTLESS of algae. I will say that some film will grow on the sides of the tank here and there.. but thats why you buy a magnet ;)
Also I dunno I dont know who you are wanting to buy that crew from... but I cant believe they'd put a coral bandit shrimp in with peppermints... its gonna eat them ;)

wax32

That's a SWF.com crew :D EDIT: Meant looks like a SWF.com crew... IE., overkill.
Yeah the Coral Banded Shrimp is something I wouldn't even put in the tank... trade it to the LFS. I personally hate peppermint shrimp also.
To give you an idea, my 29 has...
10-20 Astrea (for the rocks/glass: way too many)
10 Nassarius (for the sand)
1 Bumblebee (not really a clean up guy, but looks neat)
10-15 Hermits of various types... Scarlet Reef, Red Leg, Blue Leg, Zebra and the MONSTER
1 mithrax crab
1 brown serpent star
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 fire cleaner shrimp
I get a little green film on the side and back glass where I don't use my magnet, and ZERO problem algae.

The MONSTER
:D

f1shman

The one i was looking at was at the caribbean version of [Link violation] , forgot whats its called lol, oh ya, [Link violation] Would it really? (bout the CBS eating the peppermint)

f1shman

and the extras of the crabs i can put in my 75 gallon FOWLR and my 12 gallon nano. I heard triggers eat crabs naturally in the ocean, so it be nice treat for them (undulated + picasso)

futurama

I just traded in my coral banded shrimp last weekend after it ate a new fire shrimp. (The LFS claimed they would be okay together.) He was a total

[hr]
. I actually saw him grab one of my clownfish by the tail once. He let go & didn't hurt it but I was sick of him chasing everyone around, brandishing his claws. Also, he was a bugger to catch. I had to take every piece of LR to get him out. I would steer clear & get a nice cleaner shrimp. I just added mine with two peppermints last night along with a new cleaner crew from this site. I would be curious to know why wax32 hates them.

wax32

My peppermint TORE UP a florida ric I had just paid 10 bucks for. The 3 buck shrimp went buh bye.

speg

Tore up a ric? You sure it wasnt a camelback? Usually peppermints dont mess with anything unless its dead/dying.

jayc

I've never had a cbs. I really dont want one though. I just like the cleaner or fire shrimp better. Just my $0.02. :D

f1shman

Ya, maybe ill just skip acclimating the CBS and bring him to my LFS mwahah and trade him for some type of a cleaner shrimp, probably fire, would a fire shrimp, a regular cleaner shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp get along? I'm planning on moving my cleaner shrimp from my 12 gallon into the 40 when its ready. 5 shrimp sounds like a lot, but they're fun to watch, and eat everything! If worst comes to worst i'll have to give the CBS to my triggers hehehehehehehe

futurama

I don't really know if that's too many but I have three, two pepps & one cleaner in my 25g, (for a day so really don't listen to me). I too think the fire is the coolest but out of respect for the dead, I got a common cleaner. The thing I like about him is that he doesen't hide like my fire did for the two days I had him.

wax32

Originally Posted by Speg
Tore up a ric? You sure it wasnt a camelback? Usually peppermints dont mess with anything unless its dead/dying.
Very sure. :D

wax32

Originally Posted by F1shMan
Ya, maybe ill just skip acclimating the CBS and bring him to my LFS mwahah and trade him for some type of a cleaner shrimp, probably fire, would a fire shrimp, a regular cleaner shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp get along? I'm planning on moving my cleaner shrimp from my 12 gallon into the 40 when its ready. 5 shrimp sounds like a lot, but they're fun to watch, and eat everything! If worst comes to worst i'll have to give the CBS to my triggers hehehehehehehe
They will get along fine.