How long should it take for my eel to come back alive

shaunda

While I am on the discussion of cycling my tank, I wanted to ask some advice on the fish I do have in my tank and if I need more at this time. I have a foxface rabbitfish, 2 anemonefish, one yellow and one maroon, one pajama cardinalfish. I have already lost 2 of the cardinalfish. Those 3 fish look and act very healthy. I have a 125 g tank with a freedom filter and a powerhead on the other side. Should I just stick with these? My ph is 8.2, temp is 82, ammonia level is about a 1.00, nitrite level is 0 and nitrate is about a 2.5. My salinity is 1.022. Any help would be great.

joshd123

OOO no. I would find another fish store. You do not need anything for the first 2 months. You will probley lose everything before it is all over. You need to let your tank cycle before ya add anything.

joshd123

Hey, I am really sorry for what I said. I read it again and that was really rude of me. I hope ya get everything going good. I got to go to bed. Just research EVERYTHING before ya buy, fix, trade, sale, just read everything you can find about saltwater. If ya have any questions just Email me at joshd123@sbcglobal.net I will do what I can to help. Night

aquatics24

ya sorry to tell you, but i feel the store ripped ya off for a quick sale..when cycling their are high amount of toxicns released throughout your tank. That is probably why your cardinals died..i dont know what to tell you, you could probably try gettin at the store for selling you false information. talk to a manager or something. im not sure if it will do anything, but sometimes if an owner/manager realizes what had happened, he might give you store credit or take the fish back and hold them for you, something, anything if possible, but just feel free to post a thread on here, there are very knowledgeable members here. good luck with your aquarium

shaunda

This is what I get for going to *****. I have called them and was told they do not refund or give store credit for dead saltwater fish. I am upset because when I went in there, I told them I wanted some cheap fish to cycle my tank and they told me I didn't need to do that since I used live sand. I have learned my lesson. We don't have a local fish store in my area. I suppose I will need to drive the 2 hours for a better fish store or possibly order from here.

aquatics24

Now i dont live where you are, but i bet if you looked around when you go out for a drive, or even the yellow pages you could find someone near you.

jenni620

hi shaunda...i am in the DFW area...you said you are in North Texas...like the DFW area also? or further north? there are some decent LFS in the dallas area. if you want to email me i can tell you where they are. my email is jenni620@hotmail.com. welcome to the site, by the way. I am still really new at this, and i have learned a ton of info here! :joy: :happyfish

E

emeralcrab

Thats to bad, our ***** here at least has someone that knows a little about saltwater tanks and fish. Even though I have never bought a fish from them as I don't like that their tanks are all connected. So if one fish has a disease, they will all be exposed to it, as the water is running through all of the salt tanks. But by having a QT I would be tempted to save a fish from there now. I still get ich and such from the LFS that is use, but at least you can put your name on one you want and they will hold it until it is eating good. He doesn't mind even if he has it a month or more. But I still QT them in my own tank before they go in the big one.

shaunda

Originally Posted by sign guy
shaunda tell us more about your setup
I have a 125 gallon oceanic tank. It is 6 feet long. I am using the Freedom Filter. You can check out their website freedomaquarium.com. This is a new filter on the market and I have not really talked to anyone who has used this. It seemed easy and the customer service is amazing! My tank water has been very clear from the very begginning. I also have a maxi-jet 1200 power head set up on the opposite end of the tank. I have put in 125 lbs of live sand and some rock that has the holes all through them (not live). The eel loved those rocks. He would go through several holes at once. He did not make it by the way. I flushed him this morning. Very depressing. I have checked my water and the chemicals are Salinity at 1.022. Temp is 82. PH is 8.2, Ammonia is 1.0, Nitrites are .25 and Nitrates are 5.0. I know the ammonia is high and I guess that is supposed to go down. How does everything else sound? I am so new at this and any suggestions would be great. I live in Pottsboro which is about 2 hrs North of Dallas. There isn't a LFS here. The closest one I believe is in Plano. "Aquatic Design". My last cardinalfish also died today. I am now down to 3 fish! A foxface and two clown anemones.

shaunda

He did not make it. I was really hoping he would but when I went in there this morning he was floating. I think I will wait a while for another eel. I loved having it in my tank but want to make sure I have a good stable tank before I spend another 40 bucks. I guess I also need to weight down my top so I don't have the next one escape.

aquatics24

Sorry to hear that, I still suggest you go and talk to a manager at ***** and say an employee gave you poor help and see what they can do. you have nothing to lose. good luck