How long should it take for my eel to come back alive

S

saltfreak4

Welcome to the site. I noticed that no one else talked about your readings. Your ammonia is really high, I would be surprised if anything makes it through that. Your nitrates are kinda low for cycling for three weeks. You aren't doing water changes, are ya? Your readings should be as follows, once the cycling is completed:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0 (but this is ideal, fish can stand higher amounts)
pH close to 8.2
Alkalinity 2.5-4
Calcium 420
The last three are closely related, and can be difficult to balance, but if you plan on having fish only, not as big of a deal. Also, do you have any live rock in there? Are you running in undergravel filter? Tell me more. How did you get a large tank? I would love to have a tank that big.

shaunda

I don't have any live rock in there, should I get some? I am using the Freedom Filter. It sits inside the tank on one side and does everything. You can see it at FreedomAquarium.com to see what I am talking about. I did do a water change this past weekend because my temp was going up way to high, it was at 86 and the PH was rising. I do not have any heaters in the water. I have the Freedom Filter and a Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead on the other side. This aquarium is gorgeous, it sits on a oak stand and is an oceanic, we got it in a garage sale for $2!!! No leaks or anything. They just didn't want to move it.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Shaunda
I don't have any live rock in there, should I get some? I am using the Freedom Filter. It sits inside the tank on one side and does everything. You can see it at FreedomAquarium.com to see what I am talking about. I did do a water change this past weekend because my temp was going up way to high, it was at 86 and the PH was rising. I do not have any heaters in the water. I have the Freedom Filter and a Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead on the other side. This aquarium is gorgeous, it sits on a oak stand and is an oceanic, we got it in a garage sale for $2!!! No leaks or anything. They just didn't want to move it.

You should definitely get some LR. 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon is recommended.
You may also need to invest in a chiller to keep the temp stable.

shaunda

I am hoping the cooler weather is around the corner. I have been opening up the top lately and letting a fan blow at the surface. It seems to lower the temp but my water is evaporating quicker. I am replacing with ice in small amounts.

cunningham

Originally Posted by My Way
Then it was'nt stiff. Stiff=rigormortise(SP.), rigormortise=dead. I have had them escape and revived them a few times, but stiff and dry is dead.
no champ, it was stiff, i felt a muscle or something move in that little piece of leather.

puff_puff_

as far as your levels there not perfect, your temp is way to high and i am probably as new as you are to this! so i can really relate to troubles and problems.. fortunatly i have a privately owned petstore 2 blocks a way with a great owner whos tons of help and an older brother thats got some experience.. the biggest help i found was spending hours on here so keep up with that... as far as *****! experince 1 ICH in my brackish puffer tank from a ***** fish, went back the next day and the QTed there whole fish section.. we had bad words.. but they gave me a nice store credit for my troubles.. experince 2 clown goby turned out to be zebra barbed goby, not to bad but still way off experince 3 watchman goby hit the tile from 7 feet from dumb highschool girl working there.. made it home was dead by morning... expericenc 4 I HAD ENOUGH! red scooter blenny, turned out to be red stripped grub fish.. PREDITOR! got 80 snail through a friend in florida shipped up i have about 20 left. 25 blue leg and 10 scarlets, none left and one pissed of zebra goby and an angry violet goby... talked to the district manager and he offered me 25 dollar store credit! all you Pa. vierwers watch the news tomaorw.. a good friend of mine is a newcaster. ***** will hit the TV for poor conditions, animal cruelty and false advertising... and for your needs with ***** call 1-888-824-pals and cry public news, im sure you'll get some answers after tomarow.. every fish i got from ***** i tested the bag water.. highest salinity .015 and amonia is always through the roof along with everything else.. mass produced and sold animals are never cared for properly especially when you higher kids at minimum wage to care for them to make more money.. animals are not a comodity. there living breathing creatures and should be treated there as! I hope i get some followers out of this and you dear should be one.. any help i can offer with your tank please let me konw.. since i just cycled alot what your going through is fresh in my mind so ask me anythign and yes get your self some live rock at least a hundred pounds 200 would be better and a ferugium is a wise wise investment and a protien skimmer.. goodluck!
Jayson

cjml

Don't listen to or buy from anyone who tells you to cycle with live critters. A very bad thing--we learned the hard way as well-and we are still learning everyday! :happyfish :happyfish

drakken

I am using the Freedom Filter. It sits inside the tank on one side and does everything. You can see it at FreedomAquarium.com to see what I am talking about. .
Sorry about your eel. Yet another "DeathCo" horror story.
I looked up the filter you have. It sounds pretty good if it does what they say. How much was it?

grips

You said you are using ice to bring down your temp. Is this RO/DI water, de-chlorinated tap water, or just straight from the tap? Are you placing the ice in the display or in a sump?
I wouldn't add ice to my display unless it was an emergency. You should not add untreated tap water to any aquarium. The best thing to use for tank water is RO/DI. Most tap water (even if it's de-chlorinated) contains elements that can cause undesirable results when added.
I would add about 200 pounds of Live Rock. However, you DO NOT want to run out and buy rock and immediately put it in your tank. If you do that, your tank will cycle again which will prabably kill all of the tank's inhabitants. You'll need to cycle the rock in a seperate container of salt water with a powerhead in it to circulate the water. Test and do water changes regularly until you have zero readings and then you can add the rock to the display.
If you didn't have any livestock in the display, you could cycle the rock in there. Your filter looks pretty good, but I have not nor do I know anyone who uses one.
What do you plan on doing with the tank in the future? Will this be "fish only" or will you add coral? Do you have a picture?

dbelli

Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that you paid a whopping $2 for this tank? 125 gallon oceanic with an oak stand??
color me extremly green with jealousy!!!!!!!!!
welcome to the board. I'm new also but, OMG I have learned sooo much from this site. It's a great learning tool!!!!!!
:joy:

jam1e

sorry for your loss .. that's awesome that you got such a deal on your tank though ... I have 2 snowflake morays and I love them here's one of them ...

clown boy

Originally Posted by dbelli
Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that you paid a whopping $2 for this tank? 125 gallon oceanic with an oak stand??
I can't believe it!!!!!

docsls6

While I am on the discussion of cycling my tank, I wanted to ask some advice on the fish I do have in my tank and if I need more at this time. I have a foxface rabbitfish, 2 anemonefish, one yellow and one maroon, one pajama cardinalfish. I have already lost 2 of the cardinalfish. Those 3 fish look and act very healthy. I have a 125 g tank with a freedom filter and a powerhead on the other side. Should I just stick with these? My ph is 8.2, temp is 82, ammonia level is about a 1.00, nitrite level is 0 and nitrate is about a 2.5. My salinity is 1.022. Any help would be great.
If your amonia is that high after 3 weeks and your nitrite is at zero, then your tank ISN't cycling. You should have a spike in amonia, then nitrite, but it should happen way before 3 weeks. My tank is a week old and already amonia is down to almost zero and my nitirite is coming down as well. Do a 20% water change ASAP to drop that amonia level and re-evaluate what you are using as a biological filter because your nitrifying bacteria isn't growing or establishing.
How long have the fish been in there?

docsls6

also you should be using some live sand, crushed coral, and araganite or however it's spelled sand, this acts as a natural buffer to keep your ph levels in check, which judging by your toxic amonia levels should be sinking like crazy by now. when the ph drops below 8.2 which is a symptom of high amonia then the araganite begins desolving in the water to keep the ph above 8.2.
High AMONIA will cause fish to jump out.

shaunda

Originally Posted by Drakken
I looked up the filter you have. It sounds pretty good if it does what they say. How much was it?
The filter was about 400 dollars for the pro model. It seems to be working great but, I really don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first tank.

shaunda

Originally Posted by grips
What do you plan on doing with the tank in the future? Will this be "fish only" or will you add coral? Do you have a picture?

I was going to do a coral tank but have since changed my mind. I am currently in the process of buying imitation coral from living color line. They look really nice in the tank. I have several pieces that just came in today. Here is a full shot of the tank.

shaunda

I know the tank looks pretty bare now, and I don't have the lights set up the way I want it to be. I have enough light for the entire aquarium but the fish seem to like it just in the middle. Here is a picture of the Clarkii Clownfish

M

Madam truefire

I have been caring for a snow flake alone in a marine aquarium. One day, he put his head out of a rock with mouth wide open. Then he curled up in front of the tank and did not move for four days. Suddenly the tank started draining. I couldn't do anything. For 3 days I've left Lancelot in the tank. I pulled him out, and he wasn't dried or metamorphosis but NO WATER in tank and no movement. Can I safely say he has gone to eel heaven? This is quite mysterious. I have no clue why the wretched aquarium drained either. Any thoughts?